Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

questions
crystalvazquez85 posted:
I had a partial hysterectomy last year. But i still have my ovaries. I have several of the symptoms for ovarian cancer what should i do? I'm scared.

Anon_6061 responded:
What symptoms are you having? Some of the after effects of hysterectomy can mimic those of ovarian cancer. Ovarian cysts seem to be a common problem after hysterectomy too.

Keep in mind that if you don't have hereditary risk for ovarian cancer then your lifetime risk is very small - LESS than 2%. And I've read that the risk is even LOWER after the uterus is removed (likely due to the hormonal impact on the ovaries).

I had a hysterectomy with ovary removal and have been suffering the long-term effects of that - not fun!

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
Some will blame all symptoms on a hysterectomy.

The obvious answer is if you believe you have symptoms connected with ovarian cancer is to make an appointment with your gynecologist to discuss these symptoms and determine if further testing is indicated.

Gail

crystalvazquez85 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I have to urinate frequently, I'm constipated a lot, I get short of breath easily, I have pressure and bloating and discomfort, nausea and indigestion sometimes really bad gas not smelly or anything, then i have a lot of unexplained weight loss, I went from 180 to 150 in 2 and 1/2 months plus I have experienced some really weird bleeding especially concidering I don't have a uterus also i have been feeling full like I had just eaten a full course meal and i only eat maybe 5 or 6 bites and at times the food has a funny taste although i have eaten it before.

I had to have my uterus, cervix and tubes removed because of endometiosis

crystalvazquez85 replied to georgiagail's response:
After I showed the symptoms to my husband for ovarian cancer and I read them off him and I would agree that I had the symptom and frequently. So I called my Primary Care the very next morning so I could get into see my OB/GYN. Because when I had my 2nd son when I was 19 I went through a Cervixal Cancer scare.

Anon_6061 replied to crystalvazquez85's response:
No doubt you should see your doctor and have this all checked out. Ovarian cancer shares symptoms with other conditions, most commonly gastrointestinal so don't get too worked up about it being OC. The bleeding is concerning since you had a hysterectomy but that's not always something serious either. But again, you definitely need to be checked. Let us know what you find out.

crystalvazquez85 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks for listening and giving me some advice on what to do. I will let you know what's said. I get nervous about cancer because I have 4 different kinds that run in my family. But wha's scarier for me is the fact that I had a Cervixal Cancer scare back when I was 19 yrs old. I know that by the way I talk I sound like I'm older then I am but I'm actually only 28 yrs old.
Thanks again for the help

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center