Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Septated Ovarian Cyst
deande posted:
I had an Ultrasound done last Thursday and it showed a septated ovarian cyst. My doc wants me to wait 4 - 6 weeks before doing anything else and then doing another ultrasound. I read that these types of cysts can be very dangerous.

coupled with my other symptoms, such as missed periods, bloated, distended abdomen ( so that I had to go up 2 dress sizes ), I think waiting that long to do anything is ridiculous.

Has anyone had any experience with a septated cyst turning out benign?

Anon_6061 responded:
I know this can seem scary. I've been there. Please don't panic. MOST ovarian cysts (including complex, septated ones) are benign. And I've read that even functional cysts can be septated. Here are a couple of links:
http://ovariancystpictures.com/septated-ovarian-cyst/
http://ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm

I had an ovarian cyst and was over-treated and harmed as a result. Abdominal pain prompted me to see my long-time gynecologist. I had a complex ovarian cyst with multiple septations. He instilled fear and said it had to come out ASAP. He rushed me into surgery and even though the frozen section done while I was under anesthesia showed it to be benign (as most are), he continued removing organs - both ovaries, both tubes, and my uterus. I have been suffering the consequences ever since. My cyst was fairly large and probably would have had to be surgically removed. However, he should have removed JUST the cyst (cystectomy) or the ONE ovary. I DID not need any other organs removed.

Female organ removal (hysterectomy and oophorectomy) are very much overused. So if you are not comfortable with your doctor's recommendation and decide on a 2nd opinion, just be aware that surgery is commonly done when it isn't necessary. Some doctors prescribe meds (birth control pills) to help shrink ovarian cysts and then do another u/s.

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Hi deande,

I feel for you. You are probably really scared and worried right now, so what you need most is a strong emotional support. Try to get more strength from your loved ones or those people who you know are sincerely there for you. Use their love as your rock to hold on to.

Please don't be hasty in your decisions. I know doctors may not always be right, but being told to stay put is a sound advice. Everything must be made sure first before any action can begin. You will be facing the consequences of your actions later on, so to think things through before acting on it is a wise first step.

Be patient. Strive to take care of yourself better. Hopefully you will be fine and feel much better.

diytestkitsdotcom replied to Anon_6061's response:
Hi Anon_6061

I'm sorry you went through that. What happened to you was unacceptable. The doctor should have made sure that he had a good grasp of the situation before making any moves. He should have been sensitive to the long-term results his actions will have on you. And he should have given things more consideration.

But, what is admirable however is that you have moved on from that experience while helping others through theirs as well. You sharing that with others is something that is very helpful to those who are going through the same struggles.

Thank you for this kindness.

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center