Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

scared about ovaian cancer
my2girls171 posted:
Hey, My name is karen back in Nov 2011 i had mirena proferted in my uterus. it was actually just pulled out by my ob. In january they found 1 2c cyst on ovaries and a few other small ones. okay so in april my new ob to laposcopys and found that i endomertiosis. So, in september i got swollen in the stoamch, nausea, everyting to amke u think i was preg. faint pos on urine test, nag for blood work. wemt to gi and they did cat scan, ultra on stomach and procedure where they put light down your throuat they found nothing. since then i have been staying swollen. Ok, this month i started getting pains on my left side of my stomach, went to er they said possible cyst. i have gained 10 pounds in the last month, my legs, arms hurt and i am tired all the time. i just found out that mom had ovarian cancer in 1997 and they gaive her full hystermocy. i dont get a vaginal ultrasound till feb 5th . i am nervous, should i be. thanks

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry to hear about your troubles and that your mom had ovarian cancer. It doesn't seem like an ovarian cyst would cause your arms and legs to hurt. Nor would it seem to make you tired unless you are not sleeping as well. It could make you bloated but the 10 lb. weight gain can do that too.

Ovarian cysts are VERY common and most go away on their own. Of course, if your mom did indeed have cancer then you MAY have an increased risk.

My gynecologist of 20 years used ovarian cancer scare tactics when I developed a large cyst. He rushed me into surgery and removed all my sex organs (uterus, ovaries, tubes) even though the cyst was benign. I have been suffering the negative health and quality of life consequences ever since.

With the 10 lb. weight gain and the hurting arms and legs, I wonder if you have a thyroid problem. That may be worth pursuing too. Your gynecologist may be willing to order those labs for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center