Skip to content
Morphine Drip
best5179 posted:
My husband has had 3 back surgeries and is still in immense pain. A recent test revealed that his surgeries have resulted in scar tissue, which is rubbing against nerves. As additonal surgery is clearly not the right choice, his only option, according to his surgeon, is a morphine drip implant. This is supposed to get him off the pain pills (good!). But this does sound like they want to make it a permanent solution. Can anyone tell us if they've experienced negative side effects with a morphine drip? One neighbor has a friend who is supposedly half-crazy from it (her short-term memory is terrible, she's moody, etc). Are there alternatives we should be asking about? We feel like we've tried everything (pain management techniques, accupuncture, etc), but... it seems weird to have a permanent push-button husband.

annette030 responded:
It sounds like the surgeon is suggesting an implanted pain medicine pump. The body of the pump is usually implanted in the abdomen, with a small tube (catheter) that goes through the body and is implanted so the medicine drips into the intrathecal space of the spine. Using morphine this way allows the doctors to give you a much smaller dose per day than when you take it orally. The pump is battery operated and delivers a steady amount of the drug. The pump is filled periodically with the medicine your doctor orders, by injecting it through the skin and into the reservoir of the pump. The dose can be adjusted by the doctor with a special gadget held over the skin of the abdomen above the pump. Your hubby does not have a push button, lol, it is different than IV pumps used in the hospital. Contrary to what his surgeon told you, it does not always end with the patient taking no more pills. It may cut down the amount of oral meds one uses, but many people post here that they continue to take oral meds as well. There are other possible side effects, infections, leakage, scarring, catheter becoming dislodged, etc. I would discuss this with your husband's pain management doctor. Any kind of surgical intervention for pain management should be a last ditch treatment when every thing else has failed. One problem that I never thought of until someone posted it here was the loss of the financial ability to continue with the filling of the pump, etc. after the pump is in place. She had lost her insurance, and could no longer use the pump because she could no longer afford to have the medicine put in it, and could not afford to have it removed. I have never had a pump myself, so I have no personal experiences to share. Take care, Annette

wifemarriedtomedicine replied to annette030's response:
As I was reading your blog I thought it was me talking. I mean your story is identical to mine. I found this blog because I was googling about the pump. If you find out any further info on the pump please feel free to let me know. Good lock with your husband. Your not the only one.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.