Skip to content
Expired Tylenol
KKSheffield posted:
Hi all...I am just wondering if it is ok to take Tylenol that expired 10/08? I had a terrible headache this morning and had nothing at my house to take. I called a friend who was on his way over anyways, and asked him to please bring me some aspirins. He then showed up with a full, unopened bottle of Tylenol/325 count caplets. He mentioned they were expired but, I didn't think much about it until sometime later when I went to take a couple of them...I looked at the ex. date (I always do on everything)...and noticed the expire date was 10/08. I still have not taken them cause I don't know if it's ok to or not. Should I throw those out and go buy another bottle or are the ok to take? Any info is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time... Kristi Sheffield Ogden, UT

teresakitty2 responded:
Hi Kristi, If in doubt, throw it away and get a new bottle. It is not expensive and not worth risking your kidney or liver function over. Have read pros and cons on both sides one saying that the drug companies control the expiration dates and that the drugs are still safe and then other studies claim that drugs like antibiotics especially can chemically change and do harm to vital organs. Just to be on the safe side, get a new bottle of meds. Teresa

KKSheffield responded:
Hi Teresa... Thank you for your reply and you are absolutely right...I was being cheap and didn't even realize it...I have since thrown it out and will go get another bottle. Again thank you..you opened my eyes... Kristi

karanna responded:
Just wanted to weigh in a minute. I used to take HCTZ forh ypertension. My doc put me on a different med, but I noticed some edema and since HCTZ is a diuretic, I decided to take one, however, they had expired about a year ago. I called the pharmacist and asked him if it was okay to take them and he told me it was; the med may have lost some potency, but would not harm me. To each his own, and better to be safe, but thought I would share that.

freedom1960 responded:
Expired meds usually won't "hurt" you, but they may not help much either, as the longer they are out-dated, the weaker they get. I did take some year and a half old, year and a half past the expiration date, I should say, OxyContin a few years back and they worked OK. I was surprised, but I needed something quick and wasn't seeing a doctor till later the next day. I was not on pain meds daily at the time like I am now, so i had no tolerance and they were left over from pain treatment a few years before, and I found them in the back of a cabinet, which is really something as I throw away all meds I no longer have a use for, as soon as I know I have no use for them. I'm glad I had forgotten to throw those out, as they saved me that day or I'm afraid I couldn't have waited on my doctor appointment the next day and would have ended up in the ER. So I saved some money. But since Tylenol does little to nothing for me anyway, they probably wouldn't have done anything for ME, but I hope they worked for you, if you ended up taking them. As soon as you get new meds, I'd toss the old Tylenol though. Rick

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.