Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Six months post neck surgery
Oaklee posted:
Greetings, I was here asking questions back in August. I was searching surgeons and gaining knowledge on cervical disc surgery. Well, I am six months post now, in the process of rehab and doing so well. The pain that was in my right arm is gone. The neck pain is gone. I had a disc removed between 4 and 5 with a cadaver bone placed with a plate and four screws. Cold rainy days are a real bugger...I had to move to the Carribean. Just kidding. I am very fortunate. The surgery was a success even though I must say it was an incredible ordeal. I am 58 and that may have some bearing on it. Considering it is six months also says alot. This is no overnight fix. It has been a long road but well worth the travel. I would be happy to share my experience with anyone that has questions.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great to hear you've had such a positive outcome, despite the ordeal. Thanks for coming back here and letting us all know.

annette030 responded:
Great outcome. I am so glad you are doing so well.

I had a cervical discectomy in 1992 and feel I have done well since. The disc above the surgical site herniated six months later, but I decided not to have further surgery and it too has healed well, with just time.

Take care, Annette

corlaw responded:
So, after surgery does this mean you will be able to stop the pain meds in the future, at least for now? Or is there other areas giving you trouble also.

They have talked about fusion surgery for my neck and lumbar but not sure if I will achieve the same outcome. They are currently holding off as long as possible because I am only 34 and the disease has some room to continue to progress.

I would love to think that if I have surgery in the future, I could be taken off pain meds EVEN if its just for a short while, it would be nice to be out of pain naturally, almost like a dream for chronic pain patients.

Thanks for your update, it takes some of the fear out of neck surgery for me. Glad to hear you are doing well. Hope it continues for you

An_223063 responded:
How long did it take to get back on your feet, just moving around, then how long to do light housework or work, then back to normal? i have surgery in 2 weeks and am really scared. I'm in so much pain now that I think they could suggest head amputation and I would agree to it. Are you still on meds and how is your pain level and when did you know that the surgery helped? Any details really welcomed.

dollbug responded:
Hello Oaklee.....MiMi in NC.....I too had major problems from my right shoulder down to my hands.....(I have also had 6 hand
surgeries - 3 on each hand) .....I had no idea that the problem was my neck....but I knew that I had to get something done....I got to where I could not use my right hand to brush my teeth or wash my hair...and I was in constant pain.....the doctor sent me for a MRI of the neck....and it revealed several things going on with me....and I was then sent to a super good neurosurgeon....who performed the cervial surgery on my neck...I had a long recovery...(I had also had parathyroid surgery before my cervical surgery) but it was well worth the time and effort for me also....my doctor told me he was really surprised at how well I got along with this...he later had to also do elbow and carpal tunnel on my right hand....(he was thinking that the elbow and the hand might also be connected to the neck problems I was having)...so I wanted to completely recover from the cervical surgery first....

The surgeon told me that my neck was actually worse than what the MRI showed....but he fixed all of the problems...and my scar faded into the crease of my neck so it is hardly even visible....

I am glad that you had success with yours also.....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

dollbug replied to An_223063's response:
MiMi in NC.....I hope that your surgery goes well.....I would try to not worry about having it.....I did too....but should have not...it helped me so much....if I had to....I would go through it again.....just to get the relief that I got....

I would encourage you to do EXACTLY as your doctor tells you....I think this is so very important.....my doctor showed me how to gently moved my neck.....and when I should start...

The surgeon was really surprised how well I did since I was 54...and I will also tell you this.....I got INSTANT RELIEF....as soon as I came to in the recover room....I knew that my pain was so much better....My surgeon had told me this....but I could not believe that I really would get instant relief....

I am sure your doctor will tell you what he wants you to do or not to do after he does your surgery....I stayed in the hospital for one night....

Good luck....and please take it easy and allow yourself to heal....please let us know how things go for you.....

MiMi

Katiehurts responded:
How soon did you know whether the surgery worked?I am on strong pain meds now and pain is still unbelievable. Surgeon said since I don't have arm pain he only gives it a 50/50 shot at working. I can't live with this pain any longer. i had no idea that it would take 6 months to recover. How bad is it katie859@aol.com

Katiehurts replied to dollbug's response:
Did you have to wear the hard neck collar aftewards and for how long? I have a friend near DC and she has had c4-5 discectomy and fusion and didn't have to wear onoce AT ALL! My looked at me like I was crazy when I said I preferred not having to wear one, especially at night since I also have a sleep disorder. I want to have a huge bon fire and toss all my meds in it. Please pray for me that my surgery on Tuesday works

JessicaH777 replied to Katiehurts's response:
When I had the neck surgery, I had to wear the hard collar for 12 weeks. The first 6 weeks it was 24/7. Then after that I was allowed to take it off to sleep but had to wear it all the rest of the time.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.