Skip to content
Norco vs vicodin
corlaw posted:
I know this question is odd but I have been having this argument with first my neurologist and now the pain mangement doctor, I was on vicoden 5/500 then 7.5/750 then changed to norco 10/325, When I was changed to the Norco, I would only get about 45 minutes of relief and that was it when the vicoden strengths have always given me atleast 4 hours relief. I had injection last Monday, alot of burning on Tuesd, called PM and nurse practioner put me on dilaudid 2 mg, well combined with the 50mcg of fentanyl, I was pretty much overdosed, sweating, nausea, diarrea, confusion, palpatations etc... I reported this the next day and to no avail doctor prescribed me more Norco, now unless I am missing something I had just went in on Tues complaining Norco did not work at all for the new break through pain I was having after injection. Doctor states they are the same hydrocodone etc... but this cannot be true completely because it has to be an absorption thing, I went to urgent care over the weekend and was given 10 vicodin 7.5's and reported this on Mon to doctor and he still gave me norco until my next appt. When I combined the fentanyl patch and the vicoden ES, I was at a 0-1-2, pain scale for 8 hours, now that I am on the norco, its up and down and can not make it past two hours so pain climbs to a 6-7-8 until next dose every 4.... It has to be an absorption issue because I have the two bowel resections and have had this problem with other kinds of med before, Does anyone know of anyway I can find out why the vicoden is absorbing in my system and working while the Norco is not??????????? Also it also puzzles me as to why they would be so free with dilaudid and make such an issue over this? it is almost like out of spite or something.

BrenBren30813 responded:
As far as I know, Norco, Vicodan, Lortab, etc. are essentially brand names that dictate the amount of narcotic/acetomeniphine your generic hydrocodone will contain. Maybe you are responding better to the higher amounts of acetomeniphen?? I am not familiar with the absorption issue you bring up - you could just supplement with Tylenol, but DO NOT EXCEED 4 Grams/day. Maybe your pharmacist could spend more time with you than the doc's staff, because he would be the next most knowledgeable. Shucks, if you don't like him/her, just call any pharmacy because they will help with that question. What kind of injection did you have? I can't believe they just piled on more meds for you to take; that must have been miserable. Just remember the amount that you were comfortable with before the injection and get advice from your pharmacist on what would be a best combo. Also, in the past, I have had a bad reaction to an off brand that my pharmacy had given to me that I had never taken before. It was a generic Lortab (hydrocodone) but manufactured by a different co. I may be nuts, but I think the inactive ingredients in the med made me sick. I had already been on that same dose for 4 months and all of a sudden, I couldn't handle it and I was unable to keep it down. I really hope you truly will be HEARD at your next appt. It sounds to me the Dilaudid was just a hush remedy; but at times I'm a bit cynical. Good luck.

corlaw responded:
it was a mis communication, I was trying to tell her a) it never worked for me and b) it really is not working now 6 months later which is what I had been preaching to neurologist and finally went to family doctor to precribe, Primary prescribed vicidin up until 3 weeks ago when PM took over and used the script refill from neurologist (referring physician), huge misunderstanding. She thought I needed something stronger when in fact I just needed something different, The problem you spoke about happened to me, it was the outer layer the coating of the pill on the Darvocet- in the olden days they were white like the vicodin and now they have a synthetic coating on them that I am highly allergic too, yeh found that out the hard way after a root canal, throat closed after taking it. Some of the coatings are the culprit and some of the variants that cause them to release are different for everybody. but that is what I keep getting, they are all the same No if they were all the same they would all be called the same!!!!! anywho, I have appointment on Monday for another injection and if we cannot get past this norco-vicodin thing, I will have to withdraw my opiate contract, make appointment with primary and get another referral for new pain management doctor... it is that simple if the doctor will not listen to me the patient, then I will need to find one who will, I would understand if I was requesting outlandish narcotics or something but we are actually talking about a lower more effective dose. As for the tylenol, that had happened to me before with just plain codeine, it never worked at all without the tylenol component... Thanks for your reply and concern

annette030 responded:
Actually, the Norco has the least amount of tylenol of all three of them. I have no explanation for the strange reaction this person had. Take care, Annette

corlaw responded:
It was me, I do not absorb the norco at all, I can take the vicodin ES with my fentanyl and only need it every 6-8 hours, pain numbers not above 3, I take the Norco and I am 6-7-8, and 9 at times up and down, never the same just does not work, the time release or the drug itself does not react with my system ... I do not know why but I do know this happens with other opiates because even Charles and others of said, what works for him may not work for you and I. Everyones body chemisty is different. I have severe reaction to decongestant since I began the Remicade infusions for crohn's disease, their are alot of drugs and components of drugs that interact with this T blocker.... I think it just doesn't work, so why the heck is it such a big deal... if I can use the vicodin es 3 times a day that is better than the norco 7-8 times a day.... sure more sane than dilaudid

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.