Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ibprofen makes pain worse?
RogerShoeGuy posted:
Is there any pain that can be made worse by ibprofen instead of better? In other words are there any dieases where ibprofen would have a sort of reversed effect.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and polychondritis and was told to take ibprofen to help with the inflammation. However, ibprofen seems to make pain and inflammation worse... I have read about that those with kidney problems shouldn't take ibprofen because it makes it worse but nowhere does it say what symptoms they are experiencing...

annette030 responded:
Because FMS is not an inflammatory process, Ibuprofen does not usually help FMS pain much.

Polychondritis is just a word that means multiple joints are swollen. Visibly swollen joints are not a part of FMS either, have you figured out yet why you have multiple swollen joints? I don't know if Ibuprofen would help that or not.

I have never heard of Ibuprofen making pain and inflammation worse. Is your condition possibly just getting worse, despite the fact that you are taking Ibuprofen?

Take care, Annette

cactusflower1963 responded:
Ibuprofen never helped my FM but didn't make my pain any worse.

MattisonB responded:
I have that exact same issue! Every time I take ibuprofen my chronic neck pain (mainly on the left side) gets like 5x worse/ more constant. It's definitely not my imagination. No doctor knows why this is, and I'm torn between staying on it and toughing it out through the pain, possibly because it might be one of those "It will feel worse before it gets better" kind of things.

I have been taking 800mg (prescription strength) in the morning and at night, and it seems like the pain fades away as the ibuprofen does (it's at it's normal level a bit before I take another dose), then within less than a couple hours of taking it my pain jumps up.

I'd love any possible theories. I don't think I had the same problem when taking Celebrex (celecoxib) as it's a lower strength NSAID I'm pretty sure. But it might be something specific to ibuprofen. Again, I'm just guessing. Maybe the ibuprofen doesn't CAUSE the pain first hand, but there is DEFINITELY a correlation.

annette030 replied to MattisonB's response:
Anyone who has this problem,

Have you discussed with your doctor(s) not taking it at all? If it seems to make things worse instead of better, it would make sense to me to stop using it altogether.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.