Skip to content
Norco 10/325 question
flatcake posted:
My pain management doc normally prescribes Norco 10's for my chronic back pain (I would like to go to a sustained release formulation of some kind to eliminate the "peaks and valleys" of instant release meds every 4 hrs, but my doc & I haven't yet found one I can tolerate --- but that's another whole post).

For several months my pharmacy has filled the Norco 10 prescription with the generic made by Mallinckrodt, which has the imprint M367. My most recent refill 4 days ago was with the generic made by Amneal, which has the imprint IP110. I have noticed MUCH bettter pain relief with the Amneal IP110 verision. VERY noticeable. Yet my pharmacist says that's impossible because they are both the same configuration of 10mg Hydrocodone and 325mg Acetaminophen.

Has anyone else noticed this with brand differences on Norco 10's? Could it be something about the binders in the M367? I'm hoping the difference I'm noticing is not related to expired meds (at the wholesale distributor level) or heat damage or something like that with the M367.

Thanks.

corlaw responded:
Interesting question because I have just fired my pain doctor over this very issue, I was taking the M365 brand and they DID NOT WORK, they thought I was crazy to say that the vicoden ES was all I needed because they are the exact same thing as the norco with less tylenol I say BS.... They were like taking tylenol/ no drug in them, I think someone should investigate those pills and find out what is really in them. I have heard of Malinkrodt doing this type of thing before but I have since yesterday went back to my primary and asked for RX of vicodin because Norco is nothing. So glad to hear from someone else with same impression. These doctors had me thinking I was crazy... I know when a drug is not working, Pain doctor tried to move me to dilaudid but I filled them took them and decided that they were not for me....

Make sure you never get the other brand again. For me I am staying with the Vicodin, I wander if a drug company can be turned into the DEA and investigated by randomly testing some of their drugs. I seen on the news this is how customs caught the drugs from other countries mainly Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft being nothing more than sugar pills and pulled the imported ones off of the market.... Hope something happens soon and noone has to go through what I went through with meds not working... It sucks

annette030 responded:
A friend of mine works at a generic drug company in the complaint department. She told me they keep back a portion of each lot of drugs that goes out. All you have to do is call and they can test the pills from your lot number to see if they are accurately dosed.

Take care, Annette

annette030 responded:
I have used generic Norcos for many years, including the maker you mentioned. About six different ones all together I think. I cannot tell any difference, They all work about the same for me.

Perhaps your pain was just better for other reasons.

According to the FDA, all generics must be the same drug, in the same number of mgs., and work the same in the same length of time as the brand name drug. I believe this to be true of all the different generics I have used over the years, both for this med, and others. Binders are inactive ingredients.

Take care, Annette

lilspenny responded:
The reality is that different brands of the same drug have somewhat different effects. Think of this - you can buy Tylenol or the generic store-brand tylenol. They are pretty much the same thing, but most people would say brand name is a little better. How about a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory vs. the one you make from a box? Same thing, right? So some brands just are better for some people. Maybe it's something about the engineering process, or the quality of the ingredients, or the components it is mixed with. Some people think certain non-drug elements make the active ingredient stronger. You're not crazy - just do what works best for you.

tuckerstail responded:
YOU ARE NOT CRAZY. This happened to me last year. The pharmacy that I use(a large chain) had changed to Mallincrkrodt and they had so many complaints (same complaint that it doesn't work) that they changed back to using Qualitest. According to my Dr and pharmacist is that the binder used making the medication does not absorb as well, just as you mentioned. By law all the different manufact. have to use the same amt of medication but the binders do differ. I have never used Amneal but the Qualitest work well for me. I thought I was crazy at first but luckily when I told my pharmacist about it they had a lot of complaints to confirm it.

corlaw responded:
In a perfect world, this would be the case, but we all know every pill is not checked and the drug manufacturer knows this also.

corlaw responded:
thank you and absorption is my issue because of the intestinal surgeries and bowel resections, this must be the culprit, thanks nice to know I did not notice this alone.

annette030 responded:
I always use generic store brands of acetaminophen and ibuprofen, because it is the same thing for a lot less money. I have never noticed any difference.

Drugs are not cheesecakes, they are regulated by the FDA. The generics are tested using double blind studies to make certain they work the same way as the brand name drugs.

Anyone who wants to pay the extra $$$ for brand name drugs should feel free to do so, just don't expect the rest of us to subsidize your meds.

I agree with you, everyone should do as they wish, as long as they pay for it.

Take care, Annette

jodilb67 responded:
I am going this now, and I am told that 20percent of these generics are filled with "fillers" that is what makes each brand a little different.

peskypain replied to jodilb67's response:
Every medicine has 'fillers'or 'inactive ingredients'....

The law is that for a generic...they must have the exact same 'active' ingredients...
They are allowed by law to have or - 20% of those fillers/inactive ingredients...

So..it has nothing to do with the strength of the medicine. That is exactly the same.

Many people underestimate how powerful our minds are and when you hear that something 'doesn't work'...or read message boards with people complaining about it....then some people are susceptible to this and it will most likely not work for them.

I happen to belive that they do work...and I've been on pretty much every generic out there...LOL

annette030 replied to peskypain's response:
I tend to agree with Peskypain on this, I think most of it is in ones mind. I have used all kinds of drugs, both generic and brand name, and have never found any difference at all. I currently use all generics, they are cheap and I am a happy customer.

I always buy the store brand of over the counter meds, and have found they work fine also. For me there is no difference between Tylenol and acetaminophen, or Motrin and ibuprofen.

Take care, Annette

_swank_ replied to annette030's response:
I also agree with Annette and Pesky. I seem to get a different generic for oxycodone every time I fill a script. I just ignore the manufacturer and they all have worked fine. My only complaint is that some of them don't chop in half as well as others. I have that problem with Ambien and have asked the pharmacy to fill with certain manufacturers only for that reason.

peskypain replied to peskypain's response:
Don't know why the plus sign isn't showing up once I post...I certainly put it in the sentence that says 'by law they are allowed to have a plus or minus 20% with regard to the fillers/inactive ingredients'....

strange...lol

***I also would LOVE to start a friendly petition to the site admins to allow us the ability to edit our own posts...This is the only message board I know of where this isn't allowed...another oddity...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to peskypain's response:
Hi Peskypain,

The plus sign is, unfortunately, stripped out of posts (along with some other symbols) by the board software. Not sure when we'll get that back.

Regarding editing posts, it's unlikely members will have that ability. There are good reasons not to have that (troublemakers could post and stir things up and then edit and pretend innocence, for example).

We used to have a 'preview post' option but members rarely used it and just saw it as an unnecessary step.

The thing is, we all make mistakes or realize something we tried didn't work, so it's not a big deal to just repost or clarify when/if needed.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.