Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feels like Icy-hot
seminolearnp posted:
Good moring everyone. Its been awhile since I've posted. My question is is anyone familiar with a burning sensation like "icy-hot" with intense skin sensitivity? Seems even the slightest thing is intolerable. Wrinkled sheets, pajamas, clothes, pretty much anything is super uncomfortable. Could it be a side effect of neurontin? Seems like that would make it better. Thanks, and I hope everyone has a terrific day!!

_swank_ responded:
You need to provide a little more info like where you're experiencing this pain. Sounds suspiciously like shingles but without more info it's hard to guess.

greg8846 responded:
Hi
It has been a while, it does sound like shingles, but have you had any circulation problems in the past. In the areas is your skin peeling by any chance. Well let me know, I would see if you can get into see your doctor.This way if it is shingles you can get treatment started now. Good luck.

Greg Armstrong

seminolearnp responded:
It comes and goes. No rash, no peeling. Occurs in trunk, neck and shoulders, and it is bilateral so I doubt shingles. Have given some thought to brachial plexus or another cervical-thoracic herniation. There has been pain all along but this seems to be new. Thoughts...

greg8846 replied to seminolearnp's response:
Hi;
You know that shingles can be in another location including the trunk, when was the last time you have seen your doctor.
Just to be on the safe side let your doctor take a look at you , and i unable to see it. But i would go before it gets really painful.

Greg

seminolearnp replied to greg8846's response:
Thanks Greg. You are just a wealth of information. I want to thank you for everybody you have helped. It really means alot.
Carol

Hi Seminolearnp;
Thank your very much for the compliment's, since i had to retire because of health reason's it doesn't
mean that i have to quit helping people.Have a great day
and do take really good care of yourself.

Greg

Reta32205 replied to greg8846's response:
Carol,
What you describe sounds like allodynia. It is when a normally non-painful stimulus cause you pain. I have RSD/CRPS, for me the weight of the cotton sheet is painful, the air from the ceiling fan causes me pain. I often tell people I have clothing issues, because anything restrictive on my left wrist will cause pain. I do not let people touch me unless it is medically necessary, since this causes my pain to increase. I recently spend a day in pain after a Mammo tech positioned my arm for my annual mammogram. An exam by an orthopedic surgeon sent me to the ER for pain relief.

Allodynia and her big brother, hyperalgesia, are common in many chronic pain conditions. Hyperalgesia is when a non-painful stimulus causes excruciating pain.

seminolearnp replied to Reta32205's response:
Hi Reta,
Thanks for the info. I feel sure it is something like that but I keep looking for more info. I've seen several docs which have said I have Central pain syndrome like fibro but I'm not sure this is correct. Maybe I'm in denial. Being touched is often painful but then there are times it's not. Never know when it will be bad. Hope you are well and have a terrific day!

Hi;
No matter what causes the pain it still hurts and i know it can make you miserable to, please let me know what happens, and please take really good care of yourself.

Greg

Reta32205 replied to greg8846's response:
Carol,
It is the same with me. Some days it can be a light touch and at other times a firm touch is required. RSD/CRPS is very similar to CPS in that it is a disorder of the central nervous system. There really aren't a lot of medications that help with nerve pain.

I do not think it is a side effect of Neurotin. Many of my friends refer to as Mor- rotin, because it turns them into idoits. I tried Lyrica and it helped with the burning pain, it was all the other side effects that I could not handle. It made me feel like I was 100 years old.

How does the weather affect you? Cold, rapid pressure drops, tropical storms/ hurricanes and humidity wreck havoc om my body. Then there is stress and insomnia.

I would imagine that CPS affect the limbic system in the brain. Insomnia, fuzzy thinking, memory problems, irritability, yada, yada , yada.

My health improved when I accepted the RSD diagnosis and started educating myself about all the aspects of the syndrome. I was able to know whar was the "new normal" and what wasn't.

I have RSD, RSD does not have me.

Reta

merm6 responded:
Regarding burning icy hot skin pain; I have suffered with this for years and have been diagnosed (not sure its correct) with myofascial pain syndrome. I have trouble with clothing, material, temperature, weather factors etc. I also suffer from polyneuropathy, inflammatory arthritis, spinal stenosis and secondary Fibromyalgia. I have used extra strength Aspercream and it helps a bit. It is extremely uncomfortable and painful and worse at night! Some people can tolerate Lyrica or it's kissing cousin Neurontin but I cannot. Some take amytriptyline (elavil) but I do not adjust well to these kinds of drugs. I am on chronic pain medication but mostly for my arthritis, back and feet problems. You could get your Vit D level checked as low Vit D in the body certainly does contribute to chronic pain. Exercise will also help as it improves circulation. It is a difficult problem to treat and some gain relief from acupuncture however I have never tried that route. Sorry cannot be too much help to you. I know the burning, aching and stinging of the skin all over is dreadfully painful and hard to live with. Have a great day, Mermaidiva

greg8846 replied to Reta32205's response:
Hey Reta;
Yes these diseases can be very debilitating i don't have to tell you that and i know the Neuroin helps some but your right it does have side effects which some folks don't care for at all. You can look on the drugs actions and on side effects, the pharmacy companies that make all these drugs could never list every little thing or big thing that they cause, because if they did people would be less likely to ever take then. Yes i can feel for you when you feel as though your 100 years old at 52 i have that a lot. And it not a whole lot of fun either.I don't have RSD but i have 6 different types of Arthritis including Septic which at times has made it life threating a couple of different times. I also deal with a amputation from a severe Satt infection and i was in the hospital with 430 days.
So i do no what its like to suffer a lot of pain. But i was also a Paramedic among other jobs and college that i hav had since 1973 when i got into the EME business at 16 years of age. So i have been around the block once or maybe twice. Well post when you can and please take good care of yourself.

Greg

greg8846 responded:
Hi Seminole;
I made it short but anyway it doesn't take a real long story for me to help you out or a long explanation to get me to understand how to help you as a Paramedic a lot of times we weren't given very much information,we had to figure out a lot on our own, which at times would lead to some really tough work but after the first 4 years it doesn't take long to learn the ropes side effect of meds, and of diseases and things like this, always feel free to ask me questions if im not sure of the answer i will find out the right answer for you. Well you take care of yourself and talk to you later.

Greg

cweinbl responded:
You describe a condition known as allodynia (a.k.a. myofacial, neurogenic, neuralgia, etc.). With allydynia, the slightest touch can create significant pain.

Rather than a cause, Neurontin is a potential cure. So is Lyrica.

Your condition can be caused by a number of different disorders, from diabetic neuropathy to spinal stenosis and nerve root compression, to myofacial, to shingles, etc. Treatment is typically the same. If the medications above don't help, you can try a topical anesthetic, such as Lidoderm patches.

Good luck!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Severe Chronic Pain Lowers Life Expectancy
Previous research has demonstrated a clearly negative influence of chronic pain on health. Now, a new study portrays a profound link ... More
Was this Helpful?
167 of 199 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.