Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain after partial Hysterectomy
kawild posted:
I had a partial hysterectomy about a year ago, recently I have been feeling menstrual type cramping (which is weird) and I also get an intense throbbing pain on the left side of my lower abdomen. I was wondering if this is fairly normal for women after a partial or is this something I should see my dr. about.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

greg8846 responded:
Hi Kawild;
Did they take your ovaries, also have you ever sufferred from ovarian cysts. Are you having hormone
replacement therapy at this time, please let me know.

Greg Armstrong

_swank_ responded:
No, it's not normal. However, many women get adhesions after this type of surgery which can be an issue. And, as Greg said, if you still have your ovaries that could be an issue as well.

lpolak responded:
In '02 I had a partial hysterectomy,leaving the left ovary. I would get those kind of pains and my doc told me that I was STILL ovulating(don't know how old you are) It seemed that after about 5 years the pains just kinda slowed and the last 2-3 years, they haved all but stopped. I still get twinges every now and then,but nothing big.
Just my own expeirence-hope this helps.

Peace,
Lisa

greg8846 responded:
Hi;
I would schedule a appointment with your OB/GYN as Swank and Lisa and i have stated you want to find out what is causing all your problems. God fobid you have a serious medical issue going on and you think it may be okay. Better safe than sorry. Well good luck and please if you would let us know what happens. Thanks,

Greg

hummingbirdm responded:
I personally haven't experienced this but my older sis had a partial to and swears at times it feels like she's going to have a bad period she says she can still feel herself ovalating around the same time each month but mostly she just has a spot bleed now & then
Hope it eases up, have you beenback to your Dr?

_swank_ replied to hummingbirdm's response:
Just a technicality but a hysterectomy, full or partial, does not involve removal of the ovaries. Removal of the ovaries is called an oopherectomy. A partial hysterectomy means just the uterus is removed and not the cervix. People often confuse this and many women are surprised when they wake up after a full hysterectomy and still have ovaries.

At any rate, if you still have your ovaries you may still ovulate and still have all the symptoms of PMS, etc. Everything except a period.

greg8846 replied to hummingbirdm's response:
Hi Hummingbird;
As Swank said they leave the ovaries, i can remember a long time ago they did remove them and there was all kind of hormone problems. do you remember Swank when they use to have a lot of problems like that.

Greg

_swank_ replied to greg8846's response:
Yes, there are still problems with HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and possible links to certain kinds of cancer. Years ago they would automatically remove ovaries and even the appendix during hysterectomies. Now they see things differently. My doctor told me he was not in the business of removing perfectly good body parts and would not remove ovaries unless he saw a problem or the patient really wanted it done. But there is no reason to remove healthy ones. Better for the woman also as you are not thrown instantly into menopause and there are still benefits to having ovaries. It really depends on the reason you're having a hysterectomy in the first place.

greg8846 replied to _swank_'s response:
Hi

Thats very true it has driven some women to suicide because they don't know really what was wrong with them back in the mid 1960, they did like you said removed everything. And i also think hormone therapy can be very dangerous if it is not handled right, even today. I don't think we know as much as we all thought we knew, speaking of doctors. They are still finding research in all types of surgery like this in particular type.
Well Swank have a good weekend.

Greg

annette030 responded:
If you also had endometriosis, you may have some of this tissue left in your abdomen. It can swell and then bleed when your hormone levels change, particularly if your ovaries are intact. This can cause pain.

You would do best to see your doctor. Anytime you have a change in pain (you mentioned this started recently) you should check it out with your doctor.

Take care, Annette

kawild replied to greg8846's response:
Thanks for the helpful info everyone, yes I still have my ovaries and cervix. I am not on any type of hormone replacement therapy. I have not had any follow up since the hysterectomy so I guess that will be next step. I do have a history of cysts, and endometriosis and fibroid tumors were the main reason for the partial. The only thing that concerns me at this point, is that I was having abnormal pap smears for the previous two years before the partial. Again thankyou everyone for all of your advice! I will post the outcome from my dr. appt.

charofkentucky replied to kawild's response:
I had sharp pain in my lower left abdomen for awhile after my hysterectomy. And yes, they took my ovaries.

charofkentucky replied to _swank_'s response:
I had a total hysterectomy about ten years ago. The surgeon told me that he took my ovaries. He took out everything.
I woke up after surgery with a hormone patch on.
I had the sharp pain in my lower left abdomen for a few months after the surgery, but it went away after that.

hummingbirdm replied to greg8846's response:
I can so relate to this, I am so thankful I'm through with that menapausal crappage and my moods have stablized. I'm pretty sure I had pmms in the 10th degree, I'm sure my migraines were related to that to, I rarely have one now verses at least twice a month, I had a physciatrist once tell me it'd be about 12yrs for all this to go away I was in my mid to late 30's then. All jokes aside it is a real serious issue for lots of women. Endomentri is painful to but my doc wouldn't operate because she thought it would create more scar tissue. But I've seen alot with 7sisters and were all different and have had various issues with fibroid cysts, birth control. If there is reincarnation I want to come back as a man. lol

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.