Skip to content
falling down stairs injury question
celizabeth28 posted:
Hi all,
About a month ago I fell down some steep stairs, landing on my bottom, and while the huge bruise is now gone, I have a swelling of my skin about 2-3 inches long and 1 inch in width that won't go away. It hurts when I touch it, and I can't run or jump because it hurts. My dr didn't know what it was and now I need to go see another dr. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

greg8846 responded:
Hi celizabeth28;
Okay how long did you wait to see your doctor. Did they do x-rays and a MRI. In the first 24 hours of the acute phase of the accident. Is the bruise in the center of the skin covering the L-4 L-5 or is in the Gueteus Maximus and the Gluteus Medius. The gluteus muscle in the larger muscle of you bottom. The glutes medius is higher up on the Ilium. The bottom muscle cover a big area, now i don't know what your age may be. If you a little older and you have arthritic problems this can cause the pelvic girdle to fracture. As your looking at the back of a human female skelton you can picture the Ilium which make up the hip bones the Coccyx is the boney process that protrudes form the base of you spine, other known as the tail bone, this can become very brittle with age the next boney process would be the Sacrum as you move up the spine. If this is hit hard enough it can be crushed into the coccyx and the Pubic Symphysis creating all kinds of pain. If its in the L-4 L-5 you may also have some numbness in your lower back. These things all need to be ruled out.This can cause severe lower back pain and it could cause frequent urination also. Sorry got a little carried away . Well anyone i hope you went to the doctor with in 24 hours. Please let me know.

Greg Armstrong

celizabeth28 replied to greg8846's response:
I didn't see my doctor until approx. 3-4 wks after I fell. Oops. I'm 31 and healthy, and I've been going to the gym regularly since I fell, with the exception of taking 1 week off right after I fell. The injury is located on the left hand side, right below where my back ends. Some people have said there might be pus under my skin, but the dr said she didn't think it would still be there a month after a fall. The pain seems localized to the skin and directly under it, my bones don't hurt or anything.

greg8846 replied to celizabeth28's response:
Hi;
You know you friend is most likely right about the puss under the skin. Although it could be a knot where the muscle
has twisted and turned this can happen to. So try some heat
to relax the muscle and Tylenol and or Motrin for pain. No real
tuff exercises for maybe 3-4 weeks just take it easy and give
the muscle time to heal. If it doesnt get better check back
with your doctor. For further testing please let me how you get
along with you would please.If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Greg

annette030 replied to celizabeth28's response:
It may not be related to your fall at all. It may have just developed around the same time and you are more aware of your back due to your fall.

See the doctor that you are being referred to. Let us know what he says.

Take care, Annette

greg8846 responded:
Hi;
Well today is Tuesday are you feeling the same as you did or has it changed any in the amount of pain or the area in which you had the problem. Has anything changed as of yet. Thought maybe you would get lucky. Good luck.

Greg

celizabeth28 replied to greg8846's response:
So I saw the doctor and he said it's just hematoma. Something about calcified blood. He said I should notice it start to go down around the end of the summer, but it won't be fully gone until Nov/Dec. He also said I can run if I want to and just power through the pain because it's not going to damage it or make it worse. So I guess it's just a really bad bruise from a really bad fall!

greg8846 replied to celizabeth28's response:
Hey;

Thats really great news i was worried it was something else worse. Well im glad your okay and its justa hematoma, but those things can still hurt for a while. Thank you for letting me know what you found out, and please don't be a stranger come back or hang around the board if you havr the time,Well thanks again and i wish you all the best,

Greg

medicaldiscussions responded:
I realize that this post is very old but I did want to comment that it was very helpful. I recently experienced the same type of accident and have had similar concerns. The localized pain is not as sharp as described in the original post, but there continues to be swelling two months after my fall as described in the original post. Massaging will reduce the swelling temporarily but it returns shortly afterwards. Thank you to everyone that provided a plausible cause. I have an appointment to discuss this concern with my MD and confirm that the swelling will diminish in time.

kirstyrogers1527 replied to medicaldiscussions's response:
Hi I had a fall down the stairs a little over two weeks ago 28/6/14 from top to bottom, and landed right on my backside but whacked the bottom of my back on the edge of the step a I landed, bruising all my back and arm instantly (im on blood thinners) so the bruising came quick and black, my concerns are that im still in a hell of a lot of pain and im getting pins and needles in my feet (ive recently had cortisone injections 21st march in my lower back which didn't help me at all) and im weeing all the time since then and I have no I dear why that is its probably not related, surely the pain should be subsiding by now just like the bruises are anyone offer me any advice please would be much appreciated thank you in advance

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.