Skip to content
Lower Life Expectancy with Chronic Severe Pain
cweinbl posted:
A new study portrays a profound link between severe chronic pain and death. Even after adjusting for various confounding sociodemographic factors and effects of long-term illness, patients with severe chronic pain had a 49% greater risk of death compared with all-cause mortality and a 68% greater risk of death compared with all cardiovascular-disease-related deaths.

Physicians who refuse to adequately medicate chronic severe pain may soon find their patient dead. Families who convince their loved one that narcotics are "bad" contribute to their early demise. Patients who refuse to attend comprehenisve pain management programs can anticipate dying earlier.

For the first time, what many of us were guessing can be considered factual. Untreated severe chronic pain results in a much greater chance of premature death. Pain is the killer.

Read the entire article here: http://updates.pain-topics.org/2010/04/severe-chronic-pain-is-killer-study.html

REFERENCE: Torrance N, Elliott AM, Lee AJ, Smith BH. Severe chronic pain is associated with increased 10 year mortality. A cohort record linkage study. Eur J Pain. 2010(Apr);14(4):380-386

greg8846 responded:
Charles;

Your fantastic and thank you very much.

Greg

BrenBren30813 responded:
Thank you so much for sharing. I could talk myself blue to my family to try to help them understand the position I am in as a pain patient, and get nowhere.

This is excellent news!

May I borrow this to post on the "Pain Management Support Group Exchange"? More people need to know...

http://exchanges.webmd.com/pain-management-support-group/forum/index

Thanks Charles, B

gailb54 responded:
Hi Charles,

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see you! I hope you're doing as OK as possible- you are missed here. Hope to see you back whenever you can, as I need someone to argue with!

Take care,
gail

annette030 responded:
Thanks for the link Charles. Pain-topics is a great site, it has a lot of article and information for all of us. Most of it is based on real research so our doctors will appreciate it more than commercial type articles that are just trying to sell stuff.

Good to see you again.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.