Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible Pharmacy Problem
An_223183 posted:
Greeting Everyone,

If I'm right, most of you here with chronic pain are on 2 kinds of narcotics a day. One is a long term med, and the other a short acting med for breakthrough pain. I too am on this type of regime. I'm on MSContin for long term pain relief, and Oxycodone IR for BT pain. We tried many different combinations, and for me, this works best.

I'm not sure if I have a problem here yet or not. I'm just trying to get some information, and hopefully avoid the problem. Let me make a long story short. Does anyone know if when a pharmacy fills a narcotics script, can they see every other narcotics script I've had filled? I'm not doing anything illegal, I just don't like the way a certain pharmacist looked at me. He doesn't seem to think it's right to put someone on 2 different narcotics at the same time. I guess he's unaware of the latest thinking in the treating chronic pain field. Since so many of you are on 2 different meds, I never expected a problem. Btw, both meds come from the same doc. So I'm thinking if I get the 2 different meds filled in 2 different pharmacies I will avoid potential problems. But will this matter? Does anyone know?

greg8846 responded:
Hey Anon;
A lot of Pharmacies have a large Data Base but if you are using two different pharmacies that are not connected they have no way of knowing. Your insurance company does
though. Lets say if you have a early refill and the drug you need you ran out early they may not feel it until a couple of
days before its due. This has came many times,.Also if you don;t like the Pharmacist got to another pharmacy, i had one tell me one day he was not going to fill M MS Contin because of the dose. I asked him where he got his medical license from and left and filled it at another pharmacy. Let him think what he want to he's just frustrated because he want to be a
cop instead of a Pharmacist and good luck. I have dealt with this thing for a long in some states they can refuse to fill a narcotic if they think something maybe wrong, but the bottom line is you and only you answer to your doctor and tell him to go flip sand. Have a great weekend and good luck.

Greg

gailb54 responded:
Hi Anon,

My pain doctor has us sign a contract and one of the things mentioned in it is that we are suppose to use one pharmacy only. Each month when I go see him he writes the scripts for my meds and I go to my pharmacy and get them filled. For a while I was going to 3 pharmacies, but only because my doc had me on hard-to-locate medications and I couldn't do everything at one place, but he likes for us to. I would think that filling narcotics prescriptions at multiple locations would be a red flag if anyone knew it. Is there some reason you do that? Just go to one!

I think going to one pharmacy not only helps you look like you are doing a very straight forward and legal thing (assuming you are) but it is also good for any possible interactions between meds and things like that which the pharmacist can then keep an eye on, as well as being aware of your health issues to a degree over time a pharmacist might have tips for you to do or watch out for.

Personally I have had the same nice pharmacist for many years but if he seemed to somehow treat me as if he didn't want me to be taking the medications that my doctor and I agreed were best for me, I wouldn't care what he thought. That would make him out of line. Did he simply "look" at you funny or did he confront you? Are you sure what he was thinking?

When I first was taking narcotic medications, particulary when I took methadone (for pain), I found myself a bit nervous or embarrassed or something which was nothing other than me getting use to the fact that I was on it and hearing the "voices" in my mind of people who would doubt my decision to take these meds. I cannot listen to others. I have trusted my doctor, with information that I have picked up from my own research, that he and I are doing the best thing for my health.

I doubt that your pharmacist is unaware of pain patients who often do take two narcotic meds, as it is very common. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. Getting all of your meds at one place is more simple, straightforward, leaves little place to think you're trying to be tricky, and can help any of us if our pharmacist notices a possible drug interaction or other problem, and it's what most doctors like the best, so just find one where you are comfortable and do all of your business with them. But, that's just what I think.

You might check with your doctor or his office and see if he has a policy about filling RX's at only one pharmacy or if it matters to them. Then, just ignore what a pharmacist says or does if you know you are doing the right thing.

Good luck,
gail

transcriber52 responded:
hello Anon_1208 sorry you feel like you may be having a problem. Yes, most of us on pain medication take two or more meds at once and sometimes it may be a suprise to the pharmacist, but they are there to fill your Drs script. If you have a problem with that particular pharmacist maybe try another pharmacy or go when someone elde is working there. Maybe just ask that person if there is a problem. I would not start changing my meds to different pharmacies because of how someone looked at me. My insurance co. is the one that would be noticing that right away and it might be a flag to them. If one Dr is writting the scripts I do want one pharmacy to be filling those. My pharm. keeps track of all the meds I take plus my allergies to anything and they are informed if maybe I will have a problem mixing any of the meds I'm on for any reason.
Sometimes people look at us and wonder why we even need these meds, most of us "look normal" because they can't tell we hurt that bad. Maybe this pharmacist was just suprised to learn that you needed this strong of a medication, that you do hurt this bad.
Good luck, and welcome to our board. Please let us know how it goes.
Trans.

_swank_ responded:
Or maybe you're just being paranoid about the way your pharmacist looked at you. My pharmacy has been through several changes of pharmacists. All of them just fill my meds without question.

Most pain doctors will have you sign a contract that says you can only use one pharmacy. They know where you go and what kind of drugs you're getting. They will also know if you get narcotics from another doctor. Using more than one pharmacy makes you look suspicious.

If you're uncomfortable with the pharmacist then just use another pharmacy.

Geradine4733 responded:
It does not matter what the pharmacist thinks - it is what the doctor prescribes. They are there just to fill the order.

They are supposed to check to see if some meds may not work with another med. If she discusses this with you,, then she is just doing her job. Once she asks, then her job is over.

Maybe she should not have been concerned about these meds but maybe she thought it was her job.

If you do not like this pharmacist, as everyone says - go to another pharmacist. I think that it is better to get all your meds at one place.

With my health care, I send away for most of my meds because they are cheaper. When it comes to pain meds, I get them at a close pharmacy.

BrenBren30813 responded:
hey there anon1208, So by this statement:
I'm not doing anything illegal, I just don't like the way a certain pharmacist looked at me. He doesn't seem to think it's right to put someone on 2 different narcotics at the same time.

Did he say something, or just give you a look? I'm confused.

greg8846 responded:
Hi; Anon;
Where did the multiple pharmacies, i told you to just go to a different pharmacy. I don't understand where this came from. And also in your statement it does not say anything about multiple pharmacies. And i don't think your
paranoid either. You have a great concern. Like i said again
just find another pharmacy and i said also that you can't get
a early refill if its to soon. Most insurance companies would
not pay for. Well good luck Anon.

Greg

greg8846 responded:
Hey Anon;
I just wanted to tell you good luck and good health, im sure that everything will work out okay. Just do what you
have to do to have them filled. Like i said just change pharmacies and don't ever feel guilty in front of anyone because you taking a long acting and a short acting narcotic. This is proper and it is prescribed by your care taker who has a DEA prescriber number. Well let me know if you would if you have any more problems of this nature. Take care.

Greg

annette030 responded:
Some states have data bases, some don't. So some places the pharmacist can look up your history of use of controlled substances, and in some places they can't.

I would never get my RXs filled at different pharmacies. That makes it look like you might be trying to hide something. Besides it is safer for you to get all your RXs filled at one pharmacy to avoid any interactions. Most places run them through a computer and if there were to be any kind of interaction between your meds, the computer would tell the pharmacist that.

Many doctors who treat chronic pain will ask their patients to use the same pharmacy all the time.

Education is a good thing, if your pharmacist needs to learn, let him learn.

If your pharmacist has a problem, he should speak to your doctor, or you should change ALL your RXs to a different place.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.