Skip to content
Question: Can Sciatic Nerve Maybe Cause Swelling in Foot & Leg.
butterfly_gurl posted:
To Anyone that can Help Answer my question..

My Sciatic nerve is Damage in my right leg & Since Monday Morning, I haven't be able to walk/Use my right leg nor Put Pressure on my leg/foot, But what has me is my whole foot, toes, ankle are huge...Swollen & if I try to walk normal & use normal pressure on my right leg to walk it hurts sooooo bad. Like it's bruised or something. I didn't fall, I didn't do anything. I woke up Monday Morning, went to get out of bed & that's when i felt the soreness in my foot. I'm walking w/ a limp. Also I do have Tingling throughout my right hip into right leg down to my right foot & also feels like it on fire.

I just wanted to know if a Damage Sciatic Nerve would cause your foot to swell. this has never happened before.
Any help......

davedsel57 responded:
Hello. You posted this on the Back Pain Exchange and I replied there a week ago.

I think that the symptoms you described could be caused by a damaged sciatic nerve. The only one I'm not sure about is the swelling. Swelling of any kind, especially in the leg, is a symptom that has multiple probable causes and should not be ignored.

In my opinion, it is time for you to see your doctor. Only your own doctor can diagnose exactly what is causing your symptoms and develop a good treatment plan for you.
Blessings, -Dave

An_223261 responded:
It would be to your best advantage to contact your primary care physician then he can direct you to the appropriate physician and guide you toward the imaging your case demands. Ice will help with swelling as well as ibuprofen in the meantime. Best wishes.

annette030 responded:
I would get in to see your pcp as soon as you can to have this swelling evaluated. It is always possible to have something else, even though we have a chronic pain condition. Don't get in the habit of just lumping it all together, unless you have had your chronic condition for many years and are positive you know what is going on.

Take care, Annette

Geradine4733 responded:
I have similar symptoms. My hip hurt so much that I was sure that I would have to have my hip replaced. My Ortho Surgeon said that there was nothing wrong with my hip. It was pinched nerves coming from my lumbar spine. My feet swell too, and my Ortho Surgeon told me that it was from complications from having advanced arthritis.

I agree with everyone that you certainly need to go to your doctor. Whatever it is, you need help.

keleeschelice responded:
I have alot of things going on with my hip. I injured it in a car accident. Actually, I broke it in two places and dislocated it.My back was broken in three different places also. I guess there were so many other issues going on, no one ever mentioned the pain I would experience from sciatic nerve damage. I did undergo surgery and was in the hospital for over a month, and I have experienced all of the symptoms you have spoken about. At the present moment, my leg, ankle, foot, and toes are four size as big as the ones on my other leg. Here in a bit, I am going to the dr. I could have just simply said yes to your question. But I am not certain that is the problem. As I said, going to the dr, in a few, I will let u know.

keleeschelice replied to Geradine4733's response:
I sympathize with you. I injured my right leg, hip, knee and many other areas in a car wreck, and I am having a rough time. I am not sure exactly what the problem is. It could be many things. I am going to my pcp in a bit.

Leahmanda replied to keleeschelice's response:
what did the dr say. I have sciatica with L4-S1 bulging. My pain is across my left foot and it has just started this swelling. I do not take lyrica, neuronton or any other of the drugs listed. that includes predicone. I have just been having this increase in swelling recently. My blood pressure and blood sugars are fine.

annette030 responded:
I hope you have made an appt. with your doctor to care for this and to document it.

Take care, Annette

sanghai replied to Leahmanda's response:
try MAHARASHNADI KADA
TYODAS GUGLU
DO RAMDEV BABA EXERCISES FOR SIATICA
DO WATER EXCERCISES TOO

AND GET WELL SOON

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.