Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Opana IR
casey0324 posted:
I was wondering whether or not it is okay to break or crush the Opana IR tablets? I am currently on 10 mg and I feel that I don't always need the entire dose. I know with the extended release Opana, it should not be crushed. I just wasn't sure with the IR whether or not breaking it would change any effects of the drug. Thanks so much!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Casey,

This is something you should ask of your local pharmacist.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

annette030 responded:
You should also mention this to your doctor. He may be able to adjust the BT med to what works for you.

He also needs to be aware of exactly how you are using your meds.

Take care, Annette

casey0324 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much for the response! I will check with the pharmacist today.

casey0324 replied to annette030's response:
Thank you so much for the response!! Is there much of a difference between the Opana IR 5mg and 10mg?

annette030 replied to casey0324's response:
The number of mg. is the dose, so Opana IR 5 mg. would be half the dose of Opana IR 10 mg. by weight.

mg. stands for milligram (one thousandth of a gram or 1,000 mg. = 1 gram).

It is not the number of mg. that is important, what is important is how it works for you. I believe in using the lowest possible dose for as long as possible, then increase it only enough to make it work again. That is just my opinion though.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.