Skip to content
Knee pain after total knee replacement
pegs693 posted:
I am five weeks out from total knee replacement surgery and still am experiencing a good deal of pain. I do the exercising, which is quite vigorous, three times a day as well as go for PT three times a week. Has anyone here had knee placement who can tell me how long their pain lasted? Thanks.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

_swank_ responded:
I still have a lot of pain at 4.5 weeks out. It's normal. It will go away when it goes away. No way to predict.

pegs693 replied to _swank_'s response:
Thanks for the response. I guess I am impatient, but all I hear, here in Florida is that everyone knows someone who was playing golf in 5 weeks. My Dr. gave the same response as you did. Best of luck with your recovery. I'll check back again to see how "we" are doing!

_swank_ replied to pegs693's response:
I'd be willing to bet that most of the people playing golf after 5 weeks had arthroscopic surgery and not total knee replacements. Some people seem to think that every knee surgery involves having it replaced.

Geradine4733 responded:
It took me a long, long time to heal. Even after that, I had trouble with the tendon. The doctor sent me for PT, and that helped. Good for you that you are doing the exercises. That is the best thing you can do for yourself.

I am four years out from my TKR, and I have to do some PT exercises from time to time to keep my knee in shape.

pegs693 replied to Geradine4733's response:
Thanks, Geradine. Your words are encouraging. You sound like you are still being faithful to PT after that long time. Good luck. I'll watch this discussion with interest.

If only that were so, swank. The ones I have heard about had total knee. I live in naples, FL, home of over 60 golf courses and about 20 or 30 busy othopaedic surgeons...lots of us oldies waiting to help out their personal finances ! I know I will be grateful I had this done. I'm not ready to swing a club yet; it's the last thing on my list. Thanks for your response.

limple replied to Geradine4733's response:
I still have a lot of pain after 3 years .My case might be a little
differant had the same knee replaced twice in 7 years. Have a lot of scare tissue and knee still get stiff and hurts most of the time. Had the other knee done once not as painful but still bothers me when i walk still cant pedal a bike .

brutuses replied to limple's response:
In reading all these responses, I have to wonder if some of these knee surgeries were performed by competent surgeons and maybe that is the reason some are not healing as well as others. I have a brother who had both replaced at 52 and he did great and still is. A friend who is 62 had one replaced 4 months ago and is now playing basketball.

From what I've been told by people who have had the surgery, it's important to do the PT as prescribed for those first 6 weeks, no exceptions. It's the only way you'll have full range of motion and minimal pain in healing.

I'm going to have my knee replaced (I'm only 55), and my doctor told me not to expect to be back to normal for at least a year.

_swank_ replied to brutuses's response:
I'm not sure what responses you're talking about. The fact that people aren't completely healed at 5 weeks post op has nothing to do with the competancy of the surgeon. It takes up to a year to heal even if you have the best surgeon in the world. Some people heal faster than others. A lot depends on their overall health and/or the shape their knee was in when they had the surgery. Some people wait way too long to have a TKR and then expect miracles. Some people just take longer, period, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

I wish your friend that is playing basketball a lot of luck. That is a nono after a knee replacement and a sure way to destroy a new knee. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

Judi1120 responded:
Pegs, I am 5 weeks out and still in a lot of pain. I was definately not prepared for the long recuperation. The Doctor said everything is on schedule but the pain i s still there. I massage every night. Ihave about ten pillows in my bed to try and sleep. Once I fall off the pain wakes me up. I am still on pain meds. I start out patient tomorrow and hope to continue in Florida on the 6th of March which I amnervous about. But the Doctor said I could travel. Every day is like starting all over again. Stiff in the morning. I'm trying to cut down on the pain med. But they toldme not to be a hero. I have had 4 back operations and they were all serious but this without a doubt was the worse. Good Luck! I have someone who had her knee done at the same time and she is where I am at. I hope nothing happens to my left because I don't think I could do this again. Let me know how your doing.

_swank_ replied to Judi1120's response:
Give yourself time. You're not even close to healing at five weeks. I still have pain sometimes at 8 months out. Your whole entire knee was removed and replaced with something else. You can't expect that to heal quickly. My physical therapist told me knee replacements are about the most painful orthopedic surgery you can have.

pegs693 replied to Judi1120's response:
I happened to look in my spam and found this post. I am now 8 months out and still have a good deal of pain. There are many in my neighborhood who have had far better results than I; however, I am a high school teacher and on my feet all day. I exercise and use the stationary bike. I am hoping it is a matter of time with me.

Swank,
thank you for your patient and consistent responses. I am sorry this got sent to spam. Will keep anyone interested posted.

_swank_ replied to pegs693's response:
Not sure what you mean by you "looked in your spam". There is no spam on these boards. They do get replaced by newer posts if there are no recent replies and you have to scroll back to find them. But they don't "get moved to spam"

At any rate, you need to stop worrying about the other people in your neighborhood. Your knee was not like theirs when it was replaced. You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep expecting to have the same result as someone else. The same doctor, doing the same surgery, with the same parts on a different person is going to have different results on each patient. Everyone is different. I still have a good deal of pain some days at 9 months post-op. That's the way it goes. After 8 surgeries I will not ever be perfect. But it's tolerable and I can live my life. I don't care if my neighbor healed faster. I only care about my knee.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.