Skip to content
Neck Pain
Hexhead posted:
I've had two surgeries on my neck, both failed, chronic pain, neck arm, numb thumb.
Question: can nerves be killed (lack of better word) I'm on powerful narcotics.
Thanks

JIMBICK responded:
HEXHEAD, I KNOW THE NECK PAIN PROBLEM AS I HAVE HAD IT FOR THIRTY YEARS. TRIED ACUPUNCTURE, STRETCHING, ETC..NARCOTICS THAT ONE NEEDS MORE OF CONSTANTLY, AFTER READING PILL BOOKS, MERCK MANUAL AND OTHERS, I TRIED MOTRIN, ALLEVE, AND THEN ASPIRIN OR RATHER ECOTRIN AND BUFFERIN TAKING TWO 325s FIRST THING IN MORNING FOR NECK, BACK AND KNEE PAIN, ANF THEN TWO 325s ECOTRIN IN EVENING. IMMEDIATE RELIEF, AND AFTER A WEEK OR SO, CUT BACK TO ONE ECOTRIN OR BUFFERIN.SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. ONE CAN TAKE PLAIN ASPIRIN IF YOU DRINK A FULL GLASS OF WATER TO DILUTE THE TUMMY IRRITATION.REALLY WORKS FOR ME. VIT-D, 1/2 AN AMBIEN AT BEDTIME.GOOD LUCK. JB

Dollbug responded:
Hello hexhead.....MiMi in NC.....did you have problems with the discs in your neck? I was wondering....as I had cervical (neck) surgery.....and I was having major pain from the right shoulder down my entire arm and hands also....(but I also have carpal tunnel)....right before I had my surgery I could not use my right hand to wash my hair or brush my teeth....the pain was so bad...

A neurosurgeon did my surgery....and I asked him how long it would be before my pain went away....he told me that if he did his job right....I would get instant pain relief....and I thought to myself....yeh, right....but you know....he was a wonderful surgery....as he fixed several discs for me...and my shoulder was painfree when I came to in the recovery room....I could hardly believe this...I had to stay a night in the hospital...

Later this same surgeon did carpal tunnel surgery and elbow surgery on me also....told me that it would take at least 2 years for the elbow to heal....as it was so bad....it was red, inflammed and swollen...and he had no idea what had caused it to be this way....it was 2 years this past April...and it has just now healed completely....

I am so sorry that you are still in a lot of pain with your surgery...I know how bad pain can be though....I did not have the neck pain....and was really surprised when the doctor told me that he thought a lot of the pain was from my neck....but
I am so glad that I had the surgery.....

I do take vitamins and supplements and I have learned to control my fibromyalgia pain....and I take Pristiq for depression....

Good luck and take care...

MiMi

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.