Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
its not funny!
funnybonepain posted:
hi all my name is dave and i had two spinal fusions and decompressions with pedicle screws and bone graphs in 2005 one was l4 l5 s1 and the other was c5 c6 i was injured as a police officer in two seperate accidents i went down a flight of stairs with a perp landing on my back and the other was getting t-boned by a dump truck on the drivers side btw i was driving my problem is i have been to theraphy and tried just about everything to combat the severe chronic pain i am feeling the major complaint is a new pain which i compare to that of hitting your funnybone only 100x worse it is a sudden,sharp,paralzing pain that goes from the hip/back area through the buttocks and down the back of my thighs my buttocks and side of my hips i believe si joints are very sensative to touch and painful upon pressure i am getting this pain in my lower back and hip area it brings me to my knees and is basically paralyzing for a little i could be walking or turning , anything associated with movement and its a sudden excruciating pain that starts in the lower back hip area and radiates down my buttocks to my legs IT IS CRIPPLING TO THE POINT of embarassment due to the sudden nature i am a fairly big guy who can tolerate most pain the average person cant this pain makes me want to cry after i let out an extremely loud grunt and yelp after each episode which varies from one to twenty times daily i am scheduled for spinal stim trial this thursday and dont know if thats the solution or there is another diagnosis or treatment im not aware of whether its associated with my prior injuries or something new i believe it has to do with nerve or muscle cause i dont feel pain in my incision area this pain is 100x worse than the pain i had prior to my surgeries i am 39 and feel very depressed if i have to live with this any info or similar cases would be gretly appreciated btw sorry for my grammatical errors as it is 4am and it took me a while to post this

REDDOGG43 responded:
I am very sorry to hear about your pains and all that you have been through. What you are describing about the hip/back pain and down the back of the thigh and in the buttock. I am no Dr by all means but i just went through what you are going through not say it is the same thing but sure sounds like it. At first they said it was siatica well after bout a year of messing round with MRIs and steriod injections. They finally x-rayed my hips I had AVN and both hips had to be replaced. Now I have permanet never damage in both legs due to the lenght of time they screwed around with my back. Now the AVN is in both knees and they are talking replacement again. One thing for sure the same Dr will not do this work on me he had no compasion for me and the pain I was in and refuses to even see me now because I have no insurance. Anyway enough about me . Get the orthor Drs to check your hips. If it progresses as fast as it did in me I was on a walker two months after the first sympotoms. Good luck to you I wish you the best and hope you do not have to experince what I did. GOD bless. Again BEST OF LUCK!

bren_bren replied to REDDOGG43's response:
Hi Reddogg, what is AVN?

Hi funnybonepain, I am so sorry to see that you have that much pain and the doc's know nothing about it. All you can do here is learn from what others have gone through, and hopefully get good advice, but I wouldn't count on the answer. Everyone is unique, and your case is one of the more severe that I have seen here. I hope that the SCS trial goes well, and you get relief. Please come back and share what you are going through, as I am interested in how the implant works. Your pain is debilitating, so your chances of getting relief, in my opinion, is pretty good. If you find that doesn't help, you could always try and work to repair all the damaged tissue in your back from all the procedures. Ligaments and tendons suffer a great deal, and barely have time to repair themselves and maintain the strenth to support your back, hips, and pelvis. For now I am going through a round of prolotherapy - will let you know how it turns out for me - and I have seen many success stories for people in a similar situation as you. A pretty good site: www.getprolo.com or www.nashvilleprolotherapy.com ; the second is one of a physician, but I have found that it really breaks down the procedure simply...let me know how you are doing- - best of luck, B

REDDOGG43 replied to bren_bren's response:
AVN Avascular Nercrosis. The way the explained it to me I did not get enough blood flow to my bones so they die. The dead bones are juist as strong as the living but while you are alive your body gets rid of the dead bone which causes them to be deformed. So then they do not fit right in their right places and cause server pain. I now have it in my rt knee as well as rt shoulder. Trust me AVN is not a fun thing thing to have it means hardware. I don't like the metal that is inside me now sure don't want any more!!

rjbeck77 replied to REDDOGG43's response:
Hi,I was diagnosed with AVN in 2008 in both shoulders and had my right one replaced then before I was able to do the left shoulder I started to have hip problems and found out it was in both hips which I will start replacing on Oct 26.
AVN is usually caused by 3 different things the first one is blunt force trauma which is what happened to you. 2nd is alcoholism and the 3rd and most common is long term prednisone (steroid) use, there are some other factors that can cause AVN but these are the most common.it's a progressive disease that keeps coming back so if you replace one joint there is a good chance you will do it again. There are only a couple of treatments that can be done and replacement is the most effective and relieves most of your pain the second is a bone graft which is crazy to me, I've checked it out and core decompression which has about a 5% chance of working and is a waste of time and money about $10,000 I did it outpatient and it just sped up my problem in my left hip..Feel better RB

annette030 replied to rjbeck77's response:
My husband had a hip replaced for AVN in his right hip due to traumatic injury that occurred when he fell and landed on his hip on a concrete surface from a large semi-truck. The orthopedist told him there was no reason to believe it would occur in his left hip also and that the films and his history indicated that his natural left hip should last him forever.

If the AVN were due to systemic changes due to long term steroid use or alcoholism I can see where other joints may also be affected, but not with trauma if the trauma only injured the one joint.

I totally agree with you that the treatments short of a joint replacement do not seem to have much of a success rate. My husband has had great releif from his pain since he had the THR and can walk without a cane or any assistance. He could barely walk prior to his surgery, with a lot of pain (in spite of good drugs) and a cane.

This is a serious problem with few treatment options. Best of luck to you.

Take care, Annette

bren_bren replied to REDDOGG43's response:
Goodness, my heart goes out to all of you. I feel very fortunate to have the issues I have and the pain management options that are quite uninvasive. I'm so sorry you all have to endure that pain. I can't believe that chronic alcoholism can contribute to something like this either...what does that entail?? Drinking alcohol excessively for 20 years? As for the blunt injury trauma, it sounds a lot like RSD, yet treatments are better available.

I wouldn't wish what you are going through on anyone. I hope that you have the support, finances, and will to keep plugging away. Best wishes to you all, B

annette030 replied to bren_bren's response:
AVN sucks, I don't know how else to put it. The treatments available other than joint replacement often do not work.

My husband fell on his hip and damaged the neck of the femur between the head and the shaft. That caused a lack of blood flow to the head of the femur and it just died and collapsed in on itself. The xray was just a mess, his doctor did not know how he was walking, much less working. Thank God for joint replacement surgeries, if he had lived a generation ago, he would have been unable to walk and in terrible pain for the rest of his life.

I have been a nurse for 40 years, so much has happened in that time that are just medical miracles to me, I can't even count them. My nephew was born with orthopedic problems that would have meant he would never have walked at all just a couple of decades ago. He is just fine, thanks to a great orthopedic surgeon.

As a nurse there are a few chronic pain conditions that I would not wish on anyone, AVN, RSD, and trigeminal neuralgia are the three that most scare me. I am so glad to have what I do and not have any of these.

My heart goes out to all of you with these conditions.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 48 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.