Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I get doctors to listen to me?
kimx3sons posted:
I have fibromyalgia and chronic back pain. I had a fusion and decompression at L5-S1 in 2003. I got 6 months of relief, and then the pain was back with a vengence! Currently, I am taking 400mg of lyrica per day, 1 50mg tramadol per day, 1 10 mg flexeril per day, and 1 50mg trazadone which is supposed to help me sleep. The Lyrica does help with my fibro, but nothing is helping with my back pain. I have been through pain management and got epidural injections. Now, none of the other pain management doctors in our area with treat me because the injections failed. If I ask for stronger pain killers, I am treated like a drug addict. I'm not a drug addict, I just want some relief! I recently had another mri which showed that I have 5 bulging disks and additional vertebral slippage at my surgical site and at the level above it. I am at the end of my rope! There are days that I want to go into doctor's offices and hospitals and rip down every sign that says "You have the right to addequate pain control!" I am trying to resign myself to feeling like this for the rest of my life, and that is very depressing. I have tried chaging doctors, but then you get accused of doctor shopping and looking for drugs. I just don't know what to do!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

1wareaglefan responded:
Hey, Kim...I believe I've "seen you" on the fibro website! I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time getting relief. I also have fibro along with chronic back and neck issues. I've had 2 epidural injections....the first worked great for about a month, then the last one was about 6 wks. ago and is still working. Did yours not work at all?

Did I read correctly that you're only taking one tramadol a day? That's not very much. I would certainly get back in touch with the doctor and tell him that the treatment is not working, and what's the next step? If it were me, I'd keep bugging them until they came up with something that helped.

It may be in your mind that they think you're just looking for drugs. I've had that thought myself on occasion, but finally decided that I know how much pain I'm in, and I need help with it!

I hope you'll be assertive and keep trying till you get relief. Good luck to you, and let us know how you're doing.

Take care....Elizabeth

MaMaTwig responded:
Dear Kimx3sons,
My thoughts are with you, I also have Fibro and Chronic back pain (bluging discs, bone spurs) etc., on back and neck and I cannot believe your Dr. will not give you something stronger for the Chronic Pain.

I cannot take Lyrica, and I don't understand why no other Dr's will treat you, because the injections failed, I have had several injections that did not take, but I also swithched Dr.s because they had me on pain medicine that was not strong enough, and I got tired of being treated like there was nothing wrong.

I am now seeing a Dr. that does treat my pain, and he feels a patient shouldn't be ignored if they are in pain......God bless you because I understand completely how you feel, some days you just don't know what to do with yourself.....I also take Ambien at night for sleeping, and Xanax, because of the chronic pain, I know suffer with anxiety....Don't give up keep looking for another Dr., demand that they listen to you and how much pain you are in.......I know how frustrating it is, but you will find relief you just have to keep on trucking......and you are not a drug addict...I don;t listen to wha othe people say, some people just looka t me when I tell them what I take for pain.....oxycodone 15 mg every 4 hours, oxycontin/op 40 mg twice a day...and I still have breakthrough pain but it is definitely more tolerable than before.

God Bless and Take Care

kimberlycuevas replied to MaMaTwig's response:
hi mama twig i have almost all your symptoms back pain nerve damage in my arm and disk bulging narrowing in my kneck also slight rotation in my spinal cord i went to a pain managment clinic and they told me they do not give pain meds at all also my primary care does not want to give pain meds no more i wake up in so much pain would you have any info or anyone have info on a good doctor for pain in massachusetts i would really appreciate some directions i cant take it no more thanks in advance

MaMaTwig replied to kimberlycuevas's response:
I am sooo sorry you are going thru this, I don't know of any Dr's in your area unfortunately; I live in PA.....I don't understand how they can say they do not give out pain meds, they are a pain clinic......something sounds so wrong there......If I were you I would just go and try to find another Dr., does y our health insurance give you a book with Dr's and what they specialize in. I know mine does......I just don't understand why no one will help you with your pain.....Don't give up, I know it takes a toll on you and your body.....but keep looking towards finding another DR.......

Do you take vitamins....vitamin also play an important role in pain management?

TDXSP08 replied to MaMaTwig's response:
Twig what part of Pa are you in ,I'm near Pittsburgh

kimx3sons responded:
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and advice. I thought that I had found another pain management clinic and I did. But when I called for an appointment, in turns out that they don't take any insurance and they charge $250 a visit! I'm going to keep trying, but I just don't know much more that I can do. It really does get frustrating, tho.

MaMaTwig replied to TDXSP08's response:
I am south of Pittsburgh, approx 35 4o miles south of pgh

MaMaTwig replied to kimx3sons's response:
That doesn't sound right.....WOW, something going on at that clinic that they don't accept insurance.....

Take Care Dear....it will get a little better, but please don't give up keep looking.....

Stephlmt responded:
I sympathize you Kim I have had three spinal epidurals and two bursitis injections. My pain management doctor thought it would be good to do. Without doing an MRI. I was still in loads of pain and he refered me finally to a place that did an MRI after almost charging 2k,The place he refered me to didn't accept my insurance and neglected to tell me I was out of network even when I asked them nurmous times they told me I was and it was fine. Now I have to find a new doctor. Once the MRI was done it was discovered that I have a torn hip laberal areas major tearing and Accetubular Femoral Impingement with bone damage. My pain doc had me on Vicodin a low dose and Soma, it wasn't and isn't strong enough. The place I was referred to had me on perkeset low does and then tried tremodol had absolutely no effect on me. The doctors judge me as well. If they could give me something stronger and managable until hopefully a doc that takes my insurance hopefully repairs this mess. Oh and of course in network,

ctbeth replied to kimberlycuevas's response:
Hi Kim,

In what part of MA do you live? I ask because my pain management MD and his group are exceptionally kind, understanding, professional, and everything else good.

The group is in West Hartford, CT. It's almost an hours drive for me, but well worth the drive.

If you're near Springfield it's not a far drive. If you're on the north shore or near Nashua, that's another story

.Does your primary care MD give you a rationale why he/she "does not want to give you pain meds no more (sic)"?

Good luck and I wish you a happy holiday,
BH

It would be cool if you're near to CT.

Have a great holiday,
~ gratitude and good attitude~

jules0809 replied to ctbeth's response:
I am in Mass. also and am having a hard time with the new PCP that I was given when my old PCP left the practice. I wish Hartford was not so far away but I am on the Cape.
It is really frustrating to see this same story over and over on the support boards, if we needed medication to control BP they would give you more and more and more until it was controlled. I am tired of suffering. I have cut down to almost no medication because I am hoping to get pregnant. I figure I need to find a way to deal with the pain because I can't take the medication when pregnant. I feel really terrible today and it is making me sad because, I do not know how I am going to get through a pregnancy in this kind of pain. I am scared.

annette030 replied to jules0809's response:
I know you are feeling bad right now. I responded to your previous post about pregnancy and pain meds.

All drugs have maximum dosages so the analogy to BP meds is not accurate. When you get to the top dose, they try you on something else or add another BP drug to the first one. I have a friend on several (3 at last count) BP meds and her BP is still not in normal limits. Every illness has pros and cons.

Take care, Annette

SteelersFan85 replied to MaMaTwig's response:
Dear MamaTwig,
Hello I recently moved to Pittsburgh P.A. about 5 months ago after I got out of the military. I was living in Maryland and had a great pain management doctor. When I was overseas with the military I injured my back and neck from repelling and fell about 15 feet. 6 years and 5 mri's later I am suffering every day with chronic neck and back pain. Some days the pain is so bad I cant walk. Ive been having a very hard time trying to find a pain management doctor that will take the time to listen to me and be compasionate towards my pain. The doctor who you mentioned in your post sounds very good and caring. Would you mind sharing your doctors information so I can get back to a normal life? I would greatly appreciate the information. If you can please email me the information at katienpat@yahoo.com

From one chronic pain sufferer to another, thank you and i would greatly appreciate you help.

SteelersFan85 replied to MaMaTwig's response:
Dear Mama Twig-

I recently relocated to Pittsburgh PA from Maryland after being medical boarded out of the military. When i was deployed, i was repelling and fell 15ft to the ground, severly injuring my back and neck. 6 years, 5 MRIs, 2 steroid injections, and nerve block tests later, i was dicharged as non deployable for my condition and continue to live in paid everyday. Most days it takes me 25 minutes to get out of bed in the morning from the constant pain. I had an amazing civilian pain management doctor in MD. Since moving to PA, i have been in search of a good doctor who can help me. After reading your post, I would be intersted in seeing your doctor as he/she sounds caring, compassionate, and willing to LISTEN. I would be willing to travel the distance for some kind of relief that will make me feel like my life outlook is better than what i view it as now. Doctors who brush me off, make me feel as if my time serving my country and doing my duty are unappreciated. If id known serving in the military and being injured would leave me broken and ignored, i wouldnt have joined. Would you share your doctors information? Please email me at katienpat@yahoo.com .

From one chronic pain suferer to another, thank you. Even though you suffer from pain, its good to know that there are people out there that understand.

I truly appreciate your help.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.