Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DEMYLINATING NEUROPATHY PAIN
GeraldTodd posted:
I'm a 65 yr. old male diagnosed with Demylinating Neuropathy approximately 15 yrs. ago. I'm currently taking 600 mg. of Lyrica and 120 mg. of Cymbalta.

I have severe raw burning pain starting from my mid-buttochs down the back of both legs to the bend of my knees. The doctor was hopeful that the Lyrica would give me some relief. To date, I haven't gotten any relief.

I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions/information anyone can offer.

Thank you,

Jerry

annette030 responded:
I had similar pain, from FMS though, like a really bad sunburn to the backs of my thighs and knees. My doc gave me neurontin along with my opiates. That seemed to work fairly well.

I think I also recall using Lidoderm patches which also helped me through the worst of it.

Lyrica is a second generation drug, very similar to neurontin. It really didn't help me much, so I went back to neurontin.

Take care, Annette

GeraldTodd replied to annette030's response:
hi annette. sorry, it took me so long to get back to you. i forgot all about posting my question.

this past march i got a spinal cord stimulator implanted, which resulted in me being 100% painfree. modern medicine sometimes produces miracles.

by the way, i also tried the lidoderm patches. but, they didn't help at all.

i hope you're feeling well. thank you so much for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Take care,

jerry

annette030 replied to GeraldTodd's response:
I am happy to hear that the SCS is working so well for you. Once someone is painfree, I can sure understand that they are not bothering to read and post here anymore. Life is too busy, lol.

Take care, Annette

ctbeth replied to GeraldTodd's response:
Hi Jerry,

I have a scs, too.
While it does not give me 100% relief, it has been a miracle in my life.

I have read posts whereby others have tried scs with unacceptable relief.

I'm pleased when I hear of another person who scs has helped.

I'd be lost without my neuro-modulation unit.

Which brand do you have? I have a St Jude Genesis.
Love it <3

Bet

GeraldTodd replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi Bet.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have a Medtronic's scs.

I am happy for you that your scs has been a miracle. I too consider mine a miracle. We're very fortunate to have been able to experience this type of miracle in our lifetime. I only wish it would be successful for everybody.

Take care and continue feeling better.

Jerry

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.