Chest Contusion Pain
stephanieneal79 posted:
So, in early November 2010 I was involved in an auto accident where someone pulled out in front of me causing me to t-bone them. I had a small laceration on my chest from the seatbelt and pain. I went to the ER where they took some x-rays. The ER doctor said I just had a deep chest wall contusion, which I know is a bruise. I had more x-rays taken when I started seeing a chiro for other injuries from the accident. All was normal. But, 2 months later, my chest is still hurting. Not every day, but at least 2-3 times per week. How long will my chest be hurting? The visual bruising and laceration have long since disappeared. Any advice? Thanks!

annette030 responded:
Chest contusions hurt for a long time, because it is impossible to immobilize the chest. You have to breathe, and that movement causes irritation and makes healing slower.

I would discuss this with your doctor, MD, not chiro, and ask him if your injury justifies the amount of pain you are having or if further examination might be needed. It is possible to have small rib fractures that are not seen on the initial xrays, they hurt for a long time while they are healing.

Take care, Annette

stephanieneal79 replied to annette030's response:
I will do that! Thank you for the advice! This was my first accident and first injury like this. I really dont know what to expect. I will schedule an appt. with my doctor this week. Thank you once again!

annette030 replied to stephanieneal79's response:
I hope you feel better soon.

Take care, Annette

stephanieneal79 replied to annette030's response:
My chest is feeling better. But that is the thing...the pain comes and goes. Due to severe ice/snow conditions here, I have been unable to reach my doc. His office is closed. But with the inconsistent pain, should I still contact my doctor?

Magsjeanea responded:
Always contact your doctor if you are in persistant pain and I would saynthat yours is persistant enough. He could do xrays on your sternum and check for inflamation. My husband pushed too hard on his Harley up the driveway and it caused him to have costochondritis which is inflamation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. Your doctor can do several things like xray, MRI, Cat scan, etc... To help solve your problem.
Good luck!
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

Magsjeanea responded:
I forgot to say that you need to see an MD, a chiropractor is not an MD and cannot order these tests. If your general medical doctor does not give you any satisfaction you could go to an orthopedic MD. Sorry for my lapse in memory.....lol.
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

annette030 replied to stephanieneal79's response:
Yes. Any new or different kind of pain should be reported to your doctor.

Take care, Annette