Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hello from a new person to this discussion board
tektyme posted:
was actually looking for information on this new medication, Nucynta, that i have been prescribed. my insurance will not cover it past the first month, however, i am trying to go through the procedure to change their minds. i am very surprised to read all the bad experiences people have had using this medication. i am currently taking the 100 mg tablet, 3 to four times a day. i just had two fractures in my full back fusion repaired in December, a year after the initial full back fussion same time the year before. Nucynta has worked very well for me. i do however, take oxycontin er 60 mg once in the morning, and 40 mg at night with oxycodone #5 for breakthrough pain, 3 every 4 hours. i am not stuck just with Nucynta. i do notice the difference almost immidiately following taking Nucynta. it works right away with no adverse side effects. i am quite happy with the medication so far, and i do hope that it is added to my prescription plan soon. all those having problems with this medication are in my prayers, i do hope you find something that works for you. i did feel a need to say something good about Nucynta, however. it is working very well for me. thank you. brian.

An_223650 responded:
Hi tektyme.

I hate to tell you this but most of your pain is being killed by the Oxy. Not the Nucynta. Nevertheless, since you aren't having adverse reactions from Nucynta, keep using it.

I have also had to use some out of necessity. It kills my pain fairly well, but it has 1 huge side effect for me. It causes me to be short of breath. I can barely walk up a flight of stirs, and when I take it. I then have to sit for at least 15 minutes until my heart slows down. But other than this I don't have a problem with it. Additionally, because it's a SNRI it may work even better after several months allowing you to reduce the Oxy. So since it works for you, use it. It doesn't work for me. I feel like I'm missing 1 lung when I take it. I also sleep too much. And I get headaches from it.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the good old opiate drugs. They work and the worst side effect is constipation. But since I have IBS I like that. They also control these random nose bleeds I get since I was a kid. Docs have no idea why.

Magsjeanea responded:
Tektyme.
I agree with you ;about the Nucynta. I have been taking it for about a year and a half and have absolutely no adverse side effects other than dry mouth occasionally. You usually hear bad things about it from the people it doesn't work for not the people who do well with it. I am also on a Fentanyl patch and know the difference of whether the patch is helping or the Nucynta is taking care of my bt pain. What most people fail to understand is that this medication is made for end stage bone disease and it works better for that than anything else. I will tell anyone who wants to hear about it. As long as you do not take Nucynta with another SNRI OR SSNRI as that will potentially cause a Seratonin Syndrome. Cymbalta is a big no no with it. I have met several people with that syndrome and it is not nice. Glad that it is working for you.
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

tektyme responded:
am still here. thank you to everyone for your replies. there are a lot of incredible people out there! my insurance would not put Nucynta on their list of approved medications. i have found that one medication works for me, and helps me to be functional. the doctor put me on oxymorphone. there was an unfortunate side effect. i had no idea my doctor does not approve of the new medical marijuana card. so much so indeed that she will NOT give me the medication that works so well for me! sure, it is new, sure it is controversial. she is a true treasure, or Pearl in the rough. normally very open minded, i am very surprised she feels so strongly about this. so, here i am taking opiates, and lots of em even though we have gradually decreased my medications to about one fifth of what i was taking! its inevitable to have your body become addicted. for a doctor whom has taken the hypocratic oath, i find it reprehensible that she would simply cut me off, cold turkey! my last medications are tomorrow. anyone have any ideas? thank you in advance. sincerely, brian.

annette030 replied to tektyme's response:
Marijuana is illegal according to the federal government, that trumps all state and local laws. If they want to they can prosecute anyone for possessing it.

Many doctors say no mixing opioids with marijuana, no matter what. Some doctors say anything "in moderation", that is what they told me ten years ago. But they won't write you an application for the medical marijuana card.

It is crazy.

Why did you wait to ask us what to do until the last minute?

Take care, Annette

dfromspencer replied to tektyme's response:
Hi, Brian

You are so right! Med. Pot would be a Godsend, if only it would be approved? I don't know why they don't? It is the only thing i have found, that truely works on my type of pain. Nerve damage. I don't get it often, not often enough, but when i get the chance, i don't pass it up. Thats about four hours of relief, in just one smoking. All the morphine i take, doesn't give me that. So, why not legalize the stuff? If only for medicinal puposes?

Good luck finding relief this late in the game.

Dennis

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.