Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
magnesium supplements for myofascial back pain
marieh9 posted:
Has anyone taken magnesium supplements for myofascial back pain or pain syndrome? If so did it work and how much and what type did you take.
thanks,
mkh9

bren_bren responded:
I have also heard that calcium and magnesium combo will help with inflammation.
If you are thinking about supplements, ask your doctor; on the other hand, you could always alter your diet to include certain foods that help to reduce inflammation...? It may work just as well. But just to share with you, in my experience the magnesium capsules did nothing to reduce my myofascial pain (which exists in my lower back, buttock, and legs). I found that a knowledgeable massage/physical therapist who is trained in myofascial release (yes, there is such a certification) is the best route for someone who suffers with this.
Dr. Oz claims to know a large variety of foods that have anti-inflammatory properties - you could check out his website and find some quick answers/references. Best of luck, B

marieh9 replied to bren_bren's response:
Hi Bren_bren,
Thanks for your response. I have myofascial pain syndrome in the same areas (and now have new muscle knots in my neck and shoulder blades). Did you have an injury that then gave you these symptoms or did it come on by itself. My problem was an injury. I do try to eat anti inflammatory foods. Kind of the Greek diet except we drink soy milk.. When I was cooking regularly I think we had a much healthier diet though. It can use some improvement. I did try the magnesium 400mg for three days and although it didn't take away the main pain I did notice the muscles were less tight on my legs and less twitching. This alone helps. We eat broccoli a lot and carrots etc. Does the anti-inflammatory diet take down your pain or help cure this thing? Did the myofascial massage help you? There is one here in San Diego. I asked my doctor (integrative pain med doctor) if I could go to one and he said not yet. I am going to ask him again when I see him in two weeks. He thinks it might flare up the pain and he is trying to get rid of the pain first. Accupuncture has helped but not for long. My problem is that every three weeks or so I move the wrong way and I get set back for about a week and more pain. The accupunture took 6 visits to work and my pain and stiffness has gone down but it shoots back up when I move the wrong way or "tweek" my back. I don't know how to stop this from occuring unless the massage will do it. Did you have this problem? Thanks in advance.
marieh9

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.