Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain meds
axlesmom posted:
I have been on almost every pain med except oxycontin. Taking oxycodone 30 q 6 hrs but it only relieves the pain for about 2 hours. You cannot legally obtain more than 150 tabs per month. Is there something one could add to this regime to make it last like it apparently is supposed to? I remain on ibuprofen also which seems to help some. Any input is appreciated.

_swank_ responded:
Ask your doctor for a long acting med. Oxycontin is the same as oxycodone only it's long acting. Personally, I got very little relief from Oxycontin. I'd much prefer oxycodone.

nowthis responded:
Sorry it's not working out for ya.

I myself am prescribed 15mg oxy IR every 4-6 hours(does not last 6 hours).

And i take Oxycontin 1 20mg every 12 hours.- works pretty good

I do not take 1 15mg pill every 6 hours, that just does NOT work for me. but, I do not go over my 15 mg every 6 hours. what i do is since the IR pills are safe to split in half, i take a half every few hours, and i may not get as much relief at first, i get more relief over the 6 hour period. The IR pills are completely safe to split in half, just not the ER. If i didnt do it this way, i would run out early every day!

Maybe try that, ask your doctor if you want to be on the safe side, but i don't see any reason they would object since it is completley safe & you are not changing your dosage, since you would still be taking 30 mg in a 6 hour period.

Good Luck

Johnathan

cweinbl responded:
Not sure about your comment on lawful maximum of 150 Oxycodone tabs per month. I am aware of someone who receives 540 per 90 days. At any rate, Fentanyl Transdermal is both stronger and lasts longer (up to 72 hours per patch). People with chronic pain do better with a long-acting narcotic. You can then save the short-acting drug (Oxycodone) for breakthrough pain. Adding an anti-depressant will also help as it inhibits the reuptake of Seratonin in the bloodstream (Seratonin is one of the body's natural pain fighting chemicals). Good luck.

hondage replied to cweinbl's response:
State laws are different, i am in north carolina and recieve 240 30mg Roxicodone (which is just oxycodone instant release), so check with your pharmacist or Dr. about your state. Their is no federal law prohibiting the amount. I used to take 120 roxicodone and 90 80mg Oxycontin which works best. Taking a short acting for breathru pain, and a long acting for everyday use. Roxies only last 2 - 4 hours, dont let anyone tell you diff., after a few months the 12 hour relief from oxycontin will dwindle to 6-8 hours. However remember at least for me pain meds will compound so if you forget a dose you screw yourself for a couple days. Stay on a scedule that works for you! If you feel you can't talk to your doc about this you need to find a new doc. I am 31 and on narcotics for the last 8 years. I am not a dr. but a WELL informed citizens who knows and has taken most everything out there including addiction drugs i.e. subutex suboxone, methadone, and researched the new one a shot i think started with a v? just got fda approval for the treatment of opied addiction and herioin etc. has been used since 2006 for alcohol. It took me over a year and 10 doctor to find one i could talk to HONESTLY and not tell them what they want to hear. I am happy to talk to anyone with questions or problems!!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.