Skip to content
Oxycodone and agressiveness
BillynJennifer posted:
I have been a lurker here for some time, just gleaning all I can from everyone here.

I have spondylolysthesis with severe disc degeneration. I also have several lumbar discs that are bulging. My PCP was treating my pain with Hydrocodone 10/500 (4x per day), Lyrica, and Soma (3x per day). My PCP had done all that she could, so she referred me to a pain clinic. The doctor at the pain clinic did several physical tests as well as studying my MRI results. He took me off the Hydrocodone and Soma, and started me on Percoset 7.5/325 (4x per day), Zanaflex 4mg (1x per day at bedtime), and continue on with the Lyrica. I am feeling very agressive and more or less generally in a bad mood.

Does Percoset and/or Zanaflex cause this, or am I just going through a bad patch of life?

feethurtbad responded:
I have almost the same problem and I am taking Oxycodone 5-325. Take these about every 6 hours and have no side effects and this seems to work ok. However about every4-6 months I need to have a Cortozone shot in the back. Please read below what I found on another site explaining these drugs. My main problem is some pain in my legs but the most problems are in my feet. I have tried custom Orthotics and nothing helps. Do you have this problem and any suggestions.

FEETHURTBAD

It is SIMILAR to oxycontin.

the 5mg is the oxycodone, which is what is in oxycontin.
The 325mg is acetaminophen (Tylenol) which will not get you high.

Note: Tylenol is horrible for your kidneys in large doses, and oxycontin is horribly addictive.

To answer your question, you will probably get a small high, but not much really...it's fairly weak compared to Oxycontin.

Note II: this does NOT mean take a bunch of tablets, unless you are looking forward to kidney failure and death.

Magsjeanea replied to feethurtbad's response:
Note: Tylenol is bad for your liver and will cause liver toxicity with potential death

Note: Naproxyn Sodium (Aleve) is bad for your kidneys and will shut them down

FYI
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

BillynJennifer replied to feethurtbad's response:
I'm not talking about a high at all. Since I changed from the Hydrocodone and Soma to the Percoset and Zanaflex, I've become particularly grouchy--bordering on crabby (as my wife says). I experienced this same thing once when I had taken Stadol nose spray for a migraine. After having taken the medicine, I became easily aggravated and irritated. This is feeling the same.

Am I feeling this just because of the change in medicines?

Magsjeanea responded:
There is always a possibility that you are having a slight withdrawal because of being reduced 2.5 milligrams of your medication. And Soma is extremely addictive and the FDA has been trying to get it off of the market for a long time. Europe has already banned Soma for the same reason they banned Darvocet. You are much better off on Zanaflex. Hopefully you will have less and less symptoms as the days go on. I hope you do well.
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

annette030 replied to BillynJennifer's response:
I would discuss this with your doctor, let him guide you as you tell him how you are feeling.

It may just be a bad patch in your life, it is hard to impossible to tell from the info you have given us.

The oxycodone in Percocet is also available without tylenol. I found it was also cheaper for my insurance company, so I changed over to avoid the donut hole in my Medicare Part D insurance. I took the tylenol as a part of Norco and Percocet as prescribed and the doctor checked my liver function tests regularly, as she did for well over 15 years, I had no ill effects from the tylenol. I was careful not to take any additional tylenol either by itself or in other products, you might start reading labels carefully if you don't already.

I never got any kind of a high from any of my pain meds. I know the feeling you are describing though, I have had it after getting other IV drugs for migraines, it was a very vague feeling of unease and like you said, crabbiness. I have never heard of it in regards to opiates. I knew to expect it from the meds I was given, and had had other patients react that way when I gave it to them. I just waited it out, but I would hate to take anything that made me feel that way every day.

I don't think you are having an opiate withdrawal syndrome because the oxycodone is stronger than the hydrocodone to begin with. You may be coming off the Soma though. It is a nasty drug, the sooner it is banned the better from my point of view.

Best of luck to you.

Take care, Annette

BillynJennifer replied to annette030's response:
Thank you everyone for your replys.

Annette, I didn't realize that Soma was that addictive. I hadn't done much research on it until I read your response. I had been on Soma for well over 2 years, so it is very possible that my having stopped the Soma, cold turkey, is what is causing the mood changes. I figured that Soma was in the same "class" as Flexeril, which my doctor was prescribing in the first place. Now, the Zanaflex that my pain management doctor has prescribed is a Godsend in as far as sleeping goes. At least I'm able to sleep all night now. Thanks so much for the reply!

I don't know if that is causing your moods or not, discuss that with your doctor.

I took Soma one time many years ago for back pain from working as a nurse. I fell asleep on the couch in the early evening and woke up a couple of hours later, and found myself unable to move at all. Literally, the house could have burned down around me. I could not move to get myself to bed or to a phone or anything, so I went back to sleep and when I woke up early in the AM, I managed to get myself to bed. That afternoon, I flushed the rest of the Soma down the toilet, and called my doctor, he prescribed a different muscle relaxant. He did not act particularly surprised, said it did that to some people.

A few years ago, a group of doctors and pharmacists I was on a committee with felt that anyone who took Soma along with an opiate was looking to become an addict or already was an addict. They would not even see new patients who were already on that combination of drugs because the local opiate addicts preferred that combo. I don't think that is necessarily fair, but I do understand where they are coming from.

I am glad the Zanaflex is working for you. I took that stuff about ten years ago and it worked well for me back then also. I only took it for a short time for an acute injury.

Take care, Annette

BillynJennifer replied to annette030's response:
I am seeing an improvement in my mood since I've made it through the "withdrawals" for the Soma. I thought that the edginess was from the Percoset, but now I believe it was probably for Soma withdrawals. Thanks so much for the help. I'm feeling so much better now that I know and understand that the aggressiveness will pass once my body is used to living without the Soma.

Billy

I still do not know if the Soma is to blame or not. I would discuss this with your treating doctor.

I am so glad you are feeling better.

Take care, Annette

_swank_ replied to BillynJennifer's response:
I have taken Soma in the past without any kind of ill effects. I barely even knew I had taken it. So keep in mind that everyone reacts differently. I usually get the jitters after taking things like Sudafed when other people fall fast asleep. However, Benadryl knocks me on my butt. Mileage varies and it can change over your lifetime.

CTBeth responded:
Hi Billy,

Perhaps at your next visit the PM doc will have adequately reviewed your test results that you mentioned and study your MRI. This may lead to some treatment options.

I see that others have discussed the med issues already. Please report all of this to your MD. It matters in your future treatments.

Yes, Zanaflex is a small miracle. I had such severe spasm that I would awaken in agony. The Zanaflex had helped me so much.

I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Bet

LordofLordKingofKings replied to feethurtbad's response:
I TAKE THE PAIN MEDICATION PART ONLY OF THE OXYCODONE SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN CHRONIC PAIN FOR 20 YEARS AND MINE IS SO SEVERE I ALSO HAVE TO WEAR FENTYNAL PATCHES. PUT THE TYLENOL DID NOT HELP MY PAIN, IT ONLY HURT MY STOMACH, AND I WAS AFRAID IT WOULD HURT MY KIDNEYS. THE OYCONTIN IS A 12 HOUR RELEASE SUBSTANCE, WHILE THE OXYCONDONE IS A FAST RELEASE, SHORTER LASTING PAIN MED. IF YOU ARE IN CHRONIC PAIN 24/7, I WOULD SUGGEST TALKING TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THE PATCHES. MYLAN MAKE ONE THAT IS 12 MCC AND LASTS FOR 36 HOURS. WHEN YOU ARE NOT ALWAYS CHASING THE PAIN, BUT HAVE A CONSTANT COVER, THE PAIN DOES NOT OWN YOUR LIFE. MY PAIN IS SO SEVERE, I GET BLURRED VISION AND CAN NOT GET OUT OF BED. WHEN I STARTED THE PATCHES, I ENDED UP AT 250 MCC BEFORE IT COVERED MY PAIN. BUT OVER TIME, I HAVE CONTINUED TO BACK DOWN OFF OF THEM TO WHERE NOW I AM ON A 25 MCC PLUS A 12 MCC. BUT IF YOU ONLY TAKE PAIN MEDS AS NEEDED, THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. THIS IS FOR CHRONIC, 24/7 PAIN. AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THE PATCHES CAUSE ANY DAMAGE. SINCE I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THEM TO WHERE MY PAIN IS GONE, BUT JUST TO WHERE IT IS MANAGEABLE, I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN HIGH ON ANY OF THE MEDS. BUT THERE IS A PHYSICAL ADDICTION, SO YOU HAVE TO REDUCE THE PATCH A LITTLE AT A TIME IF YOU ARE ON HIGH DOSES. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPS, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION IT SINCE IT HAS MADE ME HUMAN AGAIN; :)

Sharon75002 responded:
Hi, I have been getting steroid injections for the last few years about every 3 to 6 months. Finally the pain Dr. asked if I had tried Tramadol & I hadn't, so now I'm taking 50mg about once evry 8 hours along with Mobic (anti-inflammatory)7.5 mg twice per day. Believe it or not the Tromadol has releived my pain so much, I can hardly believe it! I am not going to get any more steroid injections now, if I can help it. ask your Dr. if you can try this.

KittySpot replied to Sharon75002's response:
Hi everyone...I've been getting cortisone shots in both hips for nearly 6 years, most recently they switched to a much more potent shot and I have horrible side effects. The miracle is of course that they WORK for my hip bursitis. BUT I just cannot take the side effects of the the red hot face for days and the gastro-intestinal upset for over a week now. I'm missing work and this has now become more of a problem than a solution. I think I am done with these shots now...and perhaps have done some damage already to my bones. I also take Tylenol 3 for over 10 years now but my doctor will not even consider changing my meds (carried over from another doc when I moved to another state) and just wants to send me to Pain Mgmt. I just feel very 'toxic' suddenly and also feel that my pain is not being managed very well. I have tried the Pain Mgmt. at my healthcare facility twice now and they are NOT helpful at all. I'm getting very depressed now with these 5 chronic pain conditions I have: bursitis, fibromyalgia, cervical disc disease, TMJD and chronic migraines. I am at my wits' end. Thanks for listening....KittySpot

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.