Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pain management advice
okhelp posted:
Hi,
I am a 53 year old woman. I suffer from multiple disc herniations in my lumbar spine and one in my cervical spine. As well, I have tricompartmental arthritis in my right knee and fibromyalgia. I have difficulty with mobility and pain. I have taken Tylenol 3 and Percocet 5/325 (at least four tablets a day of either one or the other) for the past 3 years. This amount of medication does not offer me adequate relief. Recently, I saw a counsellor who suggested that I have to get my pain under control before I can move forward with my life. During our sessions, she sees that I can't sit for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm not sure what to do. I know that Oxycontin and the other drugs mentioned are narcotic painkillers and of course I am concerned with physical dependence, but with my level of pain I have no choice but to be dependent on some form of pain medication. What do you suggest?

David Maine, MD responded:
There are multiple ways to treat pain with opioids (narcotics) being just one of them. In regards to your lumbar spine and cervical spine - Has this be reviewed recently? Do you have any extremity complaints. There are multiple potential treatments for spinal disorders including medications (anti-convulsants, NSAIDS, opioids), physical therapy, injections if appropriate, surgery, and chiropractic treatment just to name a few. In regards to the diagnosis of fibromyalgia the role of opioids is very limted and alternative strategies including neuromodulators, accupuncture, therapy, and biofeedback etc are all commonly employed. I would discuss with your doctor a more global approach to the treatment of your pain. Multiple techniques applied thoughtfully will often improve your pain to a greater degree than any single technique alone. Best of luck.

Dollbug responded:
Hello.....MiMi in NC....I normally post on the fibromyalgia exchange.....and would like to invite you over to our community....we have Dr. P...who truly understands what we are faced with each and every day.....we also have a lot of good "tools and tips" too...that perhaps you might try to help you cope better with your pain...

I would like to encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is so important for a lot of people these days....it is a simple blood test but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it....as it is not included (yet) in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do to rule out other health issues...

Low Vitamin D can cause some of us additional pain...and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well....and I have been doing this for some time....I tried different medicines but did not find anything which really helped me without causing side effects....and I, personally did not need anything else to deal with....I do take Prestiq...but this is the only prescription that I take now....

I am sure that there are other things that would perhaps help you....but it does take a trial and error process....which does take time and effort....Again....I hope that you will at least visit the FM community....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Cervical disc herniated disc do not need to go to the hospital
Herniated disc, cervical disc without having to go to the hospital themselves, without the side effects can be treated. This, I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.