Skip to content
Spring Forward
Peter Abaci, MD posted:
I thought I would use the first day of spring to remind the Pain Management Community at WebMD of an important law of nature, namely that there are always four seasons. All living creatures suffer the cold, destitute, bleakness of winter because they can be confident they will be rewarded with the sprouting of blossoms and new life once the liveliness of spring begins. Think of this annual struggle where life battles the elements each winter as something akin to the challenges and hardships that we feel when we are in pain.

But, life goes through cycles. Our challenge is to weather these painful storms and use it as an opportunity to grow and blossom into more vibrant living beings. Life's struggles serve as a potential door to growth and development if we are bold enough to walk through. Living in chronic pain can feel so vexing at times that we can miss these opportunities to transition on to spring.

I would invite you to share your experiences of how dealing with chronic pain may have eventually led to personal growth and fulfillment. Let us know what valuable tips you learned along the way. Best wishes for growth this spring!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Happy Spring, Dr. Abaci!

Being in chronic pain has been a great teacher for me. Over the decades of dealing with it and it worsening in recent years, it has helped me relinquish unhealthy relationships, prioritize my life so I do the things I feel are worthwhile and fun (think spending time with a good friend as opposed to keeping a spotless home), learn how to say 'no', reach for hugs and laughter. It also brought me to the online world when I could no longer work outside my home and that has brought me love, adventure and work I am truly passionate about.

Does it still get to me at times? Absolutely. But I try to focus on the good things in my life instead. Being in constant and debilitating pain can sometimes be disheartening but my life is still full and thriving, just in ways that are different than I once envisioned.

I'd love to hear what others have to say.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

cweinbl responded:
I've always enjoyed writing. But I had never tried to produce a commercial product.until I had to retire from my university because of chronic pain at age 51 (in 2004). My debut novel, Jacob's Courage (2007, Mazo Publishers) was a success. Since then, I've finished a children's book and most of a science fiction novel.

If possible, I would still prefer to be working. My career blossomed just nine years before I had to retire. But,I never anticipated experiencing any professional success in retirement.

Life is what we make of it. I am forced to be horizontal virtually all of the time. I can't sit at a restaurant long enough for my meal to arrive. I'm in constant pain that never is lower than 6, on a scale of 0-10. But, I have found a catharsis. Writing is an escape from the world of pain. That I've achieved any measure of success is icing on the cake. If no one had heard of me at all, it would still be worthwhile.

CTBeth replied to cweinbl's response:
Oh Charles, I had NO idea. I LOVED Jacob's Courage.

I am honoured to be writing to its author.

I read that the story is based upon your mother's experience.

I am so happy to make your" virtual" acquaintance.

Best of fortune with your latest venture. What is the tilte of the children's book? Is it also Judaica?

Are Jacob and Rachael based on your family members or based on your relations?

How exciting!

Bet

Dollbug responded:
Hello Dr. A.....MiMi in NC....I normally post on the FM community board....but I do on occasion go to other communities and read posts.....

I read your post and just had to post....I think above anything at all that I have learned throughout my ordeal with chronic pain...is to get the doctor to check Vitamin D level....this has been the turning point for me....and as I read more and more about this and just how very important it is to everyone....not just those of us who have chronic illnesses....but to EVERYONE....I have made it my mission to continue to remind everyone....about it....I got really sick back in 2005/2006 and had multiple health issues....and I have been through a lot in the past few years....but I have also learned from being sick....and just how sick people can get.

I know that when I first start to mention my story and share it with others on the FM board....no doubt...there were people who said that I was the "crazy MiMi"....always talking about Vitamin D....well....several years now...and I am still talking about Vitamin D and just how important it is to get the Vitamin D level checked....I want to tell everyone about this....as I know just how much it affected my health....and it was such an easy fix....

And now...every day....I read something new about just how important Vitamin D....that I did not know..

Vitamin D was my door to growth and devolopment and I was BOLD enough to walk through it....Oh my....I was indeed BOLD....

I hope that everyone who reads this....and has NOT gotten their Vitamin D level checked....will ask their doctor the next time they have a visit to check it....it is just a simple blood test....but a person MUST ASK the doctor to run it....as it is not (YET) included in the normal blood work that the doctors do....I surely hope this will soon change though...and that doctors will make it a part of the normal blood work that they do...and that insurance companies will allow it to be a part of the check up process too....

Well....I did not mean to write a book here....but I did enjoy your post...

Thanks for sharing it.....

MiMi

billyf27 replied to cweinbl's response:
I also love writing and after my injury I have published many short stories. It is difficault with my injuries, but it is a great hobby for me. A novel remains out of my reach at this time, but maybe in the future.

I am also in almost constant pain especially in arms, shoulders, and hands. It makes writing hard, but I struggle through it.

Congratulations on your published novels.

billyf27 replied to cweinbl's response:
Congratulations on your published novels. After my injuries, I discovered writing also. I only have short stories published, but find writing is an escape also, despite the pain.

I am in almost constant pain especially in arms, shoulders, and hands.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to cweinbl's response:
I'm going to see if I can get that on Kindle, Charles, thank you for sharing this!
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I really love reading all your responses. Sooooo inspiring!

bemitch responded:
I know that for me, my own chronic pain has made me more aware and compassionate fo other people and their own struggles. As a nurse, it is so important to be supportive of our patients and their journeys.

CTBeth replied to bemitch's response:
Hi bemitch,
Are you new here? I do not recall seeing your name or discussions here before now. If so~ welcome to this great community.
There are quite a few RNs here including me.

Thanks for your nice comment and do come again.

CTBeth

mysticsilks replied to cweinbl's response:
I used to think I was the odd ball; The one not able to attend social functions; not even able to go out and sit long enough to have lunch.

I see a lot of life pass me by.

Then I read your post and didn't feel so all alone.

Sending you blessings

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.