Skip to content
Rapid detox
end_of_rope posted:
Has anyone heard of, tried or have an opinion of rapid detox. Apparently it is done under the care of a physician. I NEED to get off the xanax but everytime I try I have a grand mal seizure. In rapid detox I would be put out while the Dr. used an IV to flush the drugs from my body and brain. I've been doing research, some like the idea, some say it's too dangerous. I'm seriously thinking about it. Any advice?
Thanks to all of you for being so supportive
Roe

jtc1003 responded:
I have heard of it, but only with opiates. I never heard of it being used with a Benzo like Xanax. I also read the mixed reviews you're reading. However, the worst thing I read was the cost. If you can afford it, I think you should talk to the docs who do it. Make sure you go with reputable docs. See what they say.

I read an article from a Psychiatrist a few years ago who sad he uses Xanax on his anxiety patients. He said he has some patients on some high doses. He said the technique he uses to get them off it is to reduce the dose very slowly over a long period of time. Are you weaning off? Maybe you're trying to go too fast. If you've been on Xanax a long time, and you're on a high dose, you have to wean very slowly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

annette030 responded:
How many grand mal seizures have you had? Perhaps the doctor should put you on a seizure preventative first, then slowly decrease the xanax???? I detoxed from another benzo, Klonopin, years ago, and it was lousy, but it was over with in a few weeks with my doctor's help.

I have also only read about rapid detox in terms of opiates, but I suppose it would also be possible with benzos. I also have heard that for opiate rapid detox it costs about $10,000, and insurance generally does not cover it. I suspect the costs would be similar.

Best of luck to you.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to annette030's response:
PS, I also have read and heard on TV that you should only have this done in a hospital setting, not in an outpatient clinic or doctor's office. Safety issues were cited.

Take care, Annette

end_of_rope replied to annette030's response:
I have found a place in FL that can do it for xanax, klonopin etc. I have no insurance so the cost is what it is. I am just concerned about being under anesthesia for hours but I guess it would be like having an operation. The question is which of the two is the lesser of the evils (as grandma used to say).
I have had 3 grand mal seizures, this is why I am looking for a rapid detox I want to get OFF meds not go on more meds. Thanks for everything, I'll keep you posted.
Roe

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.