Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Severe Pain after Gall Bladder Removal Surgery
    An_223714 posted:
    7 months ago I spent 4 days in the hospital and had my gall bladder removed. I still have extreme pain under my right rib cage. The only way I know to describe it is it feels like my rib is broken. If I am sitting down doing nothing I am okay, as soon as I start working out, or ironing or quilting where I use my arms, the pain hits and I just can't get rid of it. Is this normal? I have checked with the surgeon and she said that different people react differently and it may just take a while to heal. I am starting to feel desperate. I have never had a problem with pain before. I feel like I am alone in this.
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi and welcome to WebMD,

    Seven months is far too long for you to still be experiencing pain from the surgery.

    Did you actually see the surgeon for an examination a month or so after the operation to ensure your healing was going okay or did you just talk on the phone?

    Please see the surgeon and/or your primary doctor to find out for sure what is going on here. You are not alone in this.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe
    annette030 responded:
    I would go see a GI doctor, a gastroenterologist, andlet him know what is going on. Some folks retain a stone in the duct after having their gall bladder out, that can cause pain that feels remarkably similar to the original gall bladder pain. They have tests to see if that is the problem.

    The other option is to go see your pcp and explain it all to him if this feels really different from the gall bladder pain you had prior to surgery. It may be unrelated to the gall bladder problem.

    Happy quilting, I used to do a lot of it, but stopped when my cervical spine became a big issue for me. Hurt too much, then my hands would go numb. It is a great hobby though.

    Take care, Annette
    KatVinci replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Thank you, I will make an appointment with my gastro doctor. I have been afraid to do so up until now thinking maybe the pain was just something I have to live with.
    KatVinci replied to annette030's response:
    Thank you, I will see gastro doctor first, then follow up with primary doctor.
    Quilting is a great hobby, I am sorry you had to give it up, I am hoping I can quilt for many more years
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to KatVinci's response:
    Let us know what the doctor says, KatVinci.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe
    KatVinci replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    I see my family doctor in a week and my gastro doctor in 2 weeks. I will let you know what I find out. Thank you.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.