Skip to content
Severe pain in left side after coughing
itxaaro posted:
About a month ago I came down with a very bad flu with lots of coughing. About 10 days ago I started getting a severe pain in my left side which got worse when I coughed. Also when I twisted, bent down, sat up or turned over in bed. Today I was sitting down at the movies, coughed (not severely) and felt like something tore in my left side. Now the pain there is very severe. It hurts more when I breathe deeply or bend or walk or somehow tense the muscle in my side and back. Any ideas what I've done?

I realise I may need to go to the ER but I have lousy insurance and it an ER visit may not be covered.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Itxaaro,

It could be something as simple as a pulled muscle or cracked rib but it also may be something more concerning. Please find a way to get some medical treatment, perhaps via a community clinic.

Good luck and let us know what's going on.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

annette030 responded:
Are you short of breath at all? If you are, go to the ER right away, if not, see a doctor, but you can probably find a cheaper way to do that.

Take care, Annette

itxaaro replied to annette030's response:
Hi,
No I don't have any problem breathing. Monday morning it hurt if I had to yawn or take a deep breath but it's better now. Mostly it hurts if I press on the area or cough or bend or twist and it's worse when I wake up due to the tossing and turning I've done whilst asleep. I'm hoping that taking ibuprofen and using a Flector patch will help. Perhaps it's just a matter of time.

annette030 replied to itxaaro's response:
Flector patches are NSAID medication in a skin patch. Ibuprofen is also an NSAID. You might call your pharmacist and ask if it is okay to take both of these together, if that was not specifically mentioned by the doctor who gave you the patches.

It sounds like things are improving slightly.

Take care, Annette

Cher72 responded:
I am currently in severe pain and it is exactly what you have explained. Today I coughed (again) and it almost felt like it popped- followed by severe pain. I am so afraid to cough though I cant help it as I am still sick with acute bronchitis. What ended up happening? Please do share. This would help me very much!

annette030 replied to Cher72's response:
Please go see your doctor. Meanwhile it is important that you take 5-6 deep breaths and cough several times every hour. If you hold a pillow over the area that hurts and squeeze fairly tight to splint the painful area, it may not hurt so much.

Again, go see a doctor.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.