Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Re: Pain Dr. is so strict w/me
meaningfulc1952 posted:
In response to you all that commented on my problem w/my pain mgt. dr. not allowing me to have 2 more methadone pills per day - This is the deal - The pain mgt. dr. I used to have died last Sept. 10 unexpectedly and his practice was his own. No other drs. involved. Since he was in his 60's, I am surprised that he did not have a plan that would involve his practice to be given to another dr., but he did not. It is also true that I can't get my medical records from his office since I have tried and my new pain dr. too. Maybe the State Medical Board can help me to get my medical records. The current dr. that I have does not prescribe another med for breakthrough pain. He prescribes 2 different muscle relaxers and the methadone 10 mg. So I am allowed 8 methadone a day. That is 80 mg./day. I have tried the duragesic patch before and it makes my headaches worse. Since I could not get my records for the new dr., I gave him a print out from the only pharamacy that I use showing my history of meds.

TDXSP08 responded:
well all i got to say is 80 methadone for an addict is big time time addiction, now i realize you are not an addict and you use for pain but 100MG of methadone is a huge dose and there are absolute adverse events caused by Methadone and they can be fatal. I think if i was a doctor i would personally not support a script for that much methadone or i would put the person in the hospital and do a challenge of that much morphine as they want in methadone and see what happens.

there is no medical advice expressed or implied in this message

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

ctbeth responded:
Hi again from Connecticut.

I'm glad that you have been able to get your Rx history from the pharmacy. Now, if nothing else, your new MD knows that you were, indeed, managing on the dose you said. I hope that this is helpful to you in establishing rapport with your MD.

Have you actually asked this MD why he/she does not want to continue you on your former dose? We can all make educated guesses, but the MD should tell you the reason.

As I am in consort with the others who believe the former dose is quite high and the MD is assessing your response in hopes of getting you stabilized on a safer dose with adjunct chemical therapies. This, of course, is only my opinion.

Another thought: If you discuss the situation with the MD you may find that he/she is primarily concerned with your well being and long-term health. Perhaps then you'll feel more secure that your goals are the same and you'll open a new trust and communication.

I've read most of your posts, and do not understand, if you were taking 100 or 120 mg/day. I think, pretty clearly, that now you are being prescribed 80 mg/day.

Initially it sounded (to me) that you wanted an additional 40 mg/day= 120 mg/day. You entitled the initial discussion that you want an additional "2 pills"= 100 mg/day.

I hope that you ask and discuss this matter with your MD and get the answers and an understanding of their rationale.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. When is your next appt? Maybe a family member or close friend can accompany you for support.

What is your first name?

I am Beth (naturally) <3

meaningfulc1952 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi Beth,
I am Connie and I appreciate your feedback. I have had pain management drs. for more than 5 years now. I have had 6 major jaw joint replacement surgeries. The last one was in 1995. These are very long and dangerous surgeries - 13 hrs. long. It all started as plain TMJ and then in the 1980's the oral surgeons wanted me to have total jaw joint replacement. I saw 7 different drs. for consults and that was everyone's opinion at that time. The first set of implants I received were from Vitek and they caused fragmentation and giant cell reaction and bone resportion. The FDA raided their office and removed all of the implants that they had. When I had the Vitek implants removed and another kind put in I had the FDA come pick up my jaw implants to further analyze them. After a year, they sent me a detailed letter w/the info they gathered. The news was very horrific. These implants were made of proplast/teflon and had broken down in my body to cause severe pain and disfigurement of my face. I was involved in a major class action against Vitek and won a small amount considering the hell that I went thru. I would never suggest to anyone that they should have jaw surgery unless it is a matter of life or death. I hope this info is helpful to anyone that has TMJ or anyone else that has been reading my discussion. It has been about 25 years of chronic/severe pain that I have had to live with and even still some drs. that I see do not understand my problem! What idiots!! I have all of my op records for each surgery and the x-rays too. Hope this info is making more sense now to you all. Thanks, Connie

annette030 responded:
There are cardiac side effects with higher doses of methadone, people die from arrythmias due to high doses of methadone according to the articles I have read and also per my PM doc that I have seen twice for consultations.

I agree with Beth, ask your PM doc why he prescribes the way he does, he may indeed have your long term health in mind.

My husband uses methadone for his chronic pain now, he switched from oxycodone. I also use it but we have different doctors. My doc uses it with a BT med in my case. I take a very small dose three times a day. My hubby takes a larger dose twice a day and no BT meds. We are both happy with our pain control. It just goes to show there is no "one size fits all" in pain management, we all respond to different things in different ways. He and I both use the hot tub, exercise, massage, and other treatment techniques in addition to our meds, both opioids and adjuvant meds.

I would try as many different kinds of treatments as possible to fill in for any increase in pain from the change in the methadone dose.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.