Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
HELP!!!
An_223718 posted:
I am a nurse. I won't be sounding like a nurse but here it goes. I have horrible back pain. I have horrible neck pain. I have diabetes Type II and what once was in control isn't. My sugars are anywhere from 90 to 323. I used to run but can't. I am 49 years old and feel like 80. I have a 5 year old and I am scared that I will die an early death. The big problem is the pain. Even if you are in health care they treat you like crap if you ask for pain meds. The real problem is that they don't know how to manage them. I am not a drug seeker. I am in pain. I am about ready to give up and let nature take it's course. There is very little compassion out there for me. All I want from a provider besides knowledge is compassion and not being judged. The pain radiates down my legs to my toes. My right arm was temporarily partially paralyzed. No choice but to do steroids and regain function but is still weaker. I lost my dad, my FIL, severe financial strain, my job all in a 7 month period. I have a new job now. I have pulled, lifted, tugged, bent my way to back hell. I have sleep apnea. I am 50 lbs overweight. When I wasn't I still hurt. I have tried Motrin, Ultram, massage...I walk in and almost instantly here that there is nothing we can do for you when I see arthritis docs, pain docs, PCP, etc...I went to the nearby University Hospital but they were NO help. Anyway Thanks for reading all this. It is alot of personal information. I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan any recommendations...for pain docs my health would improve if I could get the pain under control and I am working on the sleep apnea...

marieh9 responded:
Anon_160266,
I'm so sorry your in this situation. Do you have a back injury which resulted in the pain down the legs? Did you have an MRI and what were the results? I am a clinical lab scientist (microbiologist) and have had the same negativo remarks etc. regarding pain meds. It sounds (without knowing too much) that you might have nerve damage? If so perhaps Neurontin or a related drug would help. You also rightly sound depressed. Write back and let me know what injury you had or what happened to get in this condition. I had an injury in 2006 from my dog pulling me forward (she was attached to my pants and saw another dog, it was very dumb) and I had pain in upper left buttock near the SI joint and went to a PT and he made me stronger with stretches and then strengthening. The pain also went down the left leg to the knee. After 7 months and a cortisone shot (MRI negative) I finally got better. But then I recurred about a year and a half ago doing yoga. I got injured twice by PT's and I went to a pain doc, then a physiatrist, and GP, and neurologist and finally was sent to the Integrative medicine group. I have myofascial pain syndrome. The pain goes down to my heel down or muscle spasms. I was on Neurontin, Skelaxin, Tramadol , NSaids etc. Vicadin, and finally got off all the crap. The new doctor at Integrative medicine gave me Flexeril, plus an NSAID (called Limbrel 500 which doesn't kill my stomach) and I started accupunture, and biofeedback. I started walking for 2 minutes and increased every couple of days until now 1 year later I am walking 1 hour, slowly. I still can't bend or cross my left leg properly so I can't put my pants on yet. But, the pain is starting to go down. I didn't believe in accupunture but it seems to be helping over time. The biofeedback has helped short term and I found that due to pain I was breathing shallowly and it was affecting my pain too. So, you can get out of this. I am supposed to start new stretches but am afraid. I too lost my dad, my husbands brother and dad in the last two years. This caused a lot of grief and stress and then i hurt myself. I also lost my job too. I am lucky my husband is still working. Is this the way yours went? You could also try a Cymbalta like drug though it may be hard to get off of. There is a newer one too. I have to get the name. I would go with that type of drug but see a neurologist if you haven't yet. I hope this story helps. Let me know if you need more info and let me know how you are doing. Leave me a message if you can. Get the diabetis under control and the sleep apnea. But the pain will go hand in there.
marieh9

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Seeking both compassion and knowledge are two very reasonable pursuits when dealing with complicated pain problems. Nursing and care-giving certainly can zap a lot of emotional energy from you, which leaves you with less of it to even deal with your own situation.

Knowledge and compassion don't just come from traditional medical sources, though. Doctor visits can sometimes feel rushed, and it may be difficult to find one person who understands that pain effects the whole person and sees the big picture, as opposed to focusing on just the anatomical problems. Consider consulting with complementary alternative practitioners like acupuncturists, psychologists, tai-chi instructors, and nutritionists for help. Remember, you want to find people who will help empower you to take better care of yourself. Finding some informative books on pain will help you gain information (and keep your budget under control), as it is difficult for providers to give a lot of detailed information at follow up appointments. Lastly, try to devote some time each day for you and your health. Promise?

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.