Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
McKenzie method for back pain?
marieh9 posted:
Hi my doctor has asked me to try the stretches in "Treat your own back" by McKenzie. Has anyone tried these stretches and has it made your pain worse or better within 2 weeks?
thanks,
marieh9

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Marieh and welcome,

I'll be interested to hear if others have tried these too (I'm dealing with my own low back/leg pain and nothing I've tried so far has helped).
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

MsHoneyBe responded:
I do stretches on my Motorized Inversion Table, prescribed by my Ortho Spine Doc. It feels wonderful. When I'm slightly inverted it takes pain away, for me. I can do many exercises on it. Only the motorized works for me, no straps or anything and the thing ya lay on is very much padded, its made for the disabled and elderly. I do only Doc. prescribed exercises on it. It definetly helps me!! Also inversion is a very controversial subject always check with your doc. if it may be right for you. It was worth every penny, its from Teeter. When you do any exercises if it hurts you should stop, I get very stiff with no stretchies. Good Luck to you, Gentle Hugs,...............................Debi

MsHoneyBe replied to MsHoneyBe's response:
Marieh and Caprice, Sorry, I forgot to add I'm fused from L-2,3 to S1, with my right bottom cheek mostly numb, and right leg problems. After my inversion I get in my Spa....My NEAR fall happened in '01 it took a good 9 yrs.for me to figure out you need to pamper yourself a bit. :^)

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to MsHoneyBe's response:
Thanks for these tips, MsHoneyBe.

I have the opportunity to have an inversion table here; have tried it once and was pleased with how it felt so I'm looking forward to when it actually gets delivered to my home.

Glad you found some things that work well for you! :-)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

marieh9 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have myofascial pain syndrome and was injured twice by physical therapists (made me much worse) . I have a normal MRI it is muscular and scar tissue. So, what is working for me is walking, Flexeril, Limbrel 500 (a natural NSAID) and now I have done 4 biofeedback sessions and a bunch of accupunture and I'm finally not getting set back and the pain has gone down somewhat. I found that I was hyperventillating (biofeedback told me this) and that creats the fight or flight which increases adreneline and triggers the nerves to make the muscles spasms. I'm also taking about 300mg of slow magnesium. I still need an answer about the McKenzie method.
thanks
marieh9

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.