Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Help With PAIN
    ARC209 posted:
    My wife has been suffering with body pains for about 4 years now. She is only 29 years old. This is what we know is wrong with her from the past few doctor visits. She has a little bit of scolioses the chiropractor said it was about a 7-8 degree curve. Her right hip is a little lower and is pushed out a little. She has been seeing a regular doctor as well who did some test work on her and stated her tyhroid is a little over active. She has constant back pain along with the rest of her body in pain. Her arms and legs and joints are alwasy hurting her and she askes me to message or kinda squeeze her arms and legs almost every night (I dont mind at all). On some nights she is in so much pain she cries her self to sleep. I don't know what to do. I really want to find whats wrong with her so that she can get better. I love her and am there for her, we both just want to find answers. The past few doctors really dont know what is wrong. One actually stated that it might be in her mind and perscribed her an little red pill thats an anti depresent, I forgot the name of it. She also gets headaches every once in a while. Please help...
    CTBeth responded:
    Hi ARC,
    It is so wonderful and loving that you are writing about your wife.

    There are many people on this site and another WebMD community (specifically for fibro.) that have fibromyalgia.

    I do not have this diagnosis, so I am less-qualified than many others to reply to your questions.

    I would, however, like to suggest that you search WebMD, or even a google search, for Fibromyalgia to see if any of the symptoms ring familiar.

    I do suspect and hope that you'll get many more-qualified responses than this, but it's a place to start.

    Best of luck,

    Dollbug responded:
    Hello.....MiMi in NC....I think it is great that you are trying to find answers to help your wife cope....I am one of the FMers here...who normally post on the fibromyalgia exchange....I would like to invite you to check out our site...we are truly blessed to have Dr. P and Dr. Margaret also....and we have a great support group of people also...

    I would also encourage you to get your wife to have her Vitamin D level checked....which is important for a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it is not included in the normal blood work that the doctors do....

    I can not even imagine that a doctor would tell your wife that this pain might be in her mind....when a person is having pain...this is a signal that something is not right...and I would suggest to her that if and when this happens again...then I would be trying to find another doctor....I do know that a lot of doctors do not believe that FM is a real illness....but there has been so much research recently on this...and it has been proven that the pain is real...

    I will also tell you that there are things that will help your wife cope better...but it takes a trial and error process to find what will help her....we are all different and what helps one may or may not help another...but she will know when she has found something that is helping her....this does take time and effort though...a person should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever they are trying before making a decision as to what they are doing is really helping them...

    I hope you will continue to assist your wife with this journey...having family support is so very important...I can not even tell you how important this is....I would also encourage you and your wife both to visit the Fibromyalgia Support Group I am sure she will find a lot of good "tools and tips" that she can try...

    Take care and good luck...

    CTBeth replied to Dollbug's response:
    Hi Mimi,

    I've seen your posting before and on the other site about Vit D.
    Is this specifically a FMS problem, or can it effect others with chronic pain syndromes?

    GREAT point: if her MD doesn't listen, it's time to consult with another MD.

    I've told my best friend who has FMS about this and the FMS community. She's participating in it now. I'm so pleased.

    Take care, and ARC, please let us know how you and your wife are doing.

    annette030 replied to CTBeth's response:
    My understanding is that the vit. D issue applies to all chronic pain conditions, not just FMS. A lack of vit. D can increase neuropathic pain from what I have read, they are finding out more and more about it every day. It seems to be the vitamin d'jour lately.

    Hugs, Annette
    cweinbl responded:
    1. Dump the chiropractor. Your wife deserves a real doctor - someone with "MD" after his or her name.

    2. Trust that your MD will recommend a specialist for the scoliosis. That would be a spine surgeon, neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. The best would be a spine surgeon (someone who completed a fellowship in spine surgery). They are often found at or near teaching hospitals.

    3. If all else fails, request a referral to a comprehensive pain management program. Just make sure that they offer many forms of therapy (acupuncture, TENS, biofeedback, PT, kinesiotherapy, etc.) in addition to injections.

    Good luck
    CTBeth responded:
    a 7-8% curve should not cause any symptoms.

    It seems to me, subjectively, of course, that chiropractors seem to tell everyone that one hip is a little lower or that one leg is longer. I had heard BOTH of these from a chiropractor. When I, embarrassingly, made mention of these things to my neuro-surgeon, he, literally LAUGHED!

    I was additionally given the vague diagnosis of spinal "subluxation", which seems like a very-common, if not universal chiropractic diagnosis. My neuro-surgeon also discredited this as asinine.

    Of note: I walked in to the chiro office and nearly crawled out.

    Caveat lector!

    annette030 replied to CTBeth's response:
    I agree. Every mother I have known including myself and my mom developed one hip slightly higher and out to the side simply from carrying a baby/toddler on our hip around the house. In the olden days, doctors asked right away if you had kids, and if so, how you carried them and how much.

    If you have back/body pain see your family MD, then a neurologist or a rheumatologist, then go from there.

    I would avoid chiropractors unless you are sent there by an MD who has already made a diagnosis.

    Take care, Annette

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.