Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can someone give me advice? I'm desperate, and in pain!
juliebray25 posted:
Hi, my name is Julie and I'm 29yrs old. It's my first time on this site and I had no idea where to post my question, since the name of this group had "Pain Management" in a title, I figrued it would be a good place to start.

I've been experiencing pain in my wrists for about 2 yrs now, it's not constant it comes and goes. But lately, it seems everytime it comes, it get worse and today it is the worst it's even been. I have been a waitress for almost 10 yrs, and a bartender for over 6 yrs now. I use my wrists a lot at work, wether it's to carry heavy trays of food, or open many many many beer bottles in 1 night. I always associated my pain to my work. But now, I've been unemployed for over 6 months, and just got my worst pain attack yet. The pain is unbearable, there is no sewlling or bruising, but I can'r apply any pressure on my palm, or make a tight fist. My hand is VERY weak, I can't even light a lighter, and I feel a fatigue pain running up my arm almost to my shoulder, all sprouting from my wrist. This time, a new symptom started, a very intense burning sensation, like my hand and wrist are on fire. The pain feel like its coming from everything, joints, muscles, nerves, even the skin... I gets to the point sometimes where i start crying cause the pain si that intense. I dont have a family doctor and since im unemployed, I can't really afford a visit to the ER.

It's a pain you just can't ignore, it's very intense and the burning just makes it too much for me to handle, I really do not know what could be causing this or what to do. I tried ice, heat, stretchings, pills, braces.... nothing works. Then in a week or so, it will all disappear and I may not get it back for a month. Then one day I wake up and sore again... I've never experiences anything like this.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Or anything I could do for relief?... it's 3am right now and the pain is really bothering me, there is no way i'll be able to sleep like this. Please help.

Take the Poll

I've done a bit of reading and right now I'm suspecting either:
  • carpal tunnel
  • brustitis
  • repetitive motion injury
  • arthtritis
  • tendonitis
vote
View Poll Results

_swank_ responded:
Since this has been going on for months it does not require a visit to the ER. That is for emergencies only. Now would be a good time to establish yourself with a family doctor. Or check with your county health department and ask about free clinics in your area. Most communities have them, they just don't advertise.

An_223791 responded:
I have had much of the same pain due to my RA. I received much relief from this portable ultrasound therapy. I use it on the inside of my wrist for 15 minutes per day for two weeks. Then I don't have to use it for quite awhile. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, which is typical of RA. When I first started using it, I thought it was a waste of money. Within a few days, I was able to feel with my index finger that had been numb for several months. The numbness went away up my arm within a week. Now if it does act up, I can use the machine twice and then the pain is over, the numbness goes away and I am back to "normal". I hate taking pain medication and it doesn't actually cure anything. Surgery for this is also a possibility, but I just would rather not. This has been my miracle machine and I am quite satisfied with this solution. My father got a different brand than mine and his works just as well. If you decide to go this way, I would just make sure it is from a med supplier. Best of luck to you!

http://www.amazon.com/Reliamed-ZZA1000-ReliaMed-Portable-Ultrasound/dp/B001DLXLIS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304831544&sr=8-2

end_of_rope responded:
I am assuming you have no insurance, I waitressed too and I know you don't get insurance. You should not have to live like this, nobody should. First, find a clinic, if you can drive and have access to a car don't be afraid to travel if you have to. I am not a Dr. but have been to enough of them to know there are good ones out there and some of them work at clinics. I am in the same position right now, no insurance BUT when I did I found one great doctor who will let me come to see him for free when I need to. It is time to start making connections Have you tried WET HEAT, very different from, say, a heating pad. A hot bath or a bowl of hot water, this is how I get relief when all else fails. I feel for you I know how hard it is to be in pain, need a doctor, need help and not know where to go or how to get it. PLEASE try to find someone who will help. Good luck and keep us posted.

Roe

treetree123 responded:
have the same problem and was tested for carpal tunnel last year and sure enough i have it along with some nerve damage

lorigibs40734 responded:
You might could try calling your local hospital or health department to see if there are any free or income based clinics in your area.

I live in Kentucky and there are a few doctor's office that charge by income, and there is one free clinic, opened on Saturdays only where I live. It would be worth a couple of phone calls to see an MD about your condition as it could be anything.

I use heat a lot, as anything cold just makes my pain worse. I have a heating pad, but I also made one from an old tube sock and white rice. Heat it in the microwave for about a minute and it can wrap around your arm where the pain is. My girls thought I'd lost my mind when I made it but it's been really helpful.

I wish you the best and please keep us posted.

Lori

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.