Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Unable to Sit!
An_223793 posted:
I hope there is someone out there who may be able to give me some help. I have lumbar scoliosis, several lumbar herniated discs, & spinal stenosis. I'm taking oral pain medication which helps somewhat. One of the problems I have is that I am unable to sit for over 15 min. without having terrible pain. This means I cannot travel or eat out without extreme discomfort. I have tried pillows, cushions & just about everything else to try & find some relief.
I would love to go & visit with friends but am unable to. This is really having an effect on any social activities.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Magsjeanea responded:
I am so sorry that you are in such pain but I sure can sympathize with you. I am in a reclined position in bed or a lounge chair at least 22 hours a day. If I take extra bt medication I might be able to go get a quick bite to eat as long as I can get out within an hour, that is my limit. The only thing different is that I do get relief driving my car cause I can adjust my seats to help. I do not have the scoliosis but I do have DDD, spinal stenosis, facet joint arthopathy, radiculopathy and arthritis. May not be as bad as you but I have found help with Duragesic 50mcg q48h and Nucynta 75mg 3x's a day as needed ( allergic to most other meds). I know I didn't help you with any suggestions but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Come back anytime to vent and talk. Hope you find the answers you are looking for. Take good care,
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

David Maine, MD responded:
Is your pain focused in your back? If so, lumbar degenerative disks can be the pain generator. If there is uncertainty your doctor may ask you to obtain a sitting MRI to evaluate if there are any structural changes as compared to a standard supine (lying flat on your back) scan. Other potential causes can include coccydynia (pain focused at coccyx, always worse when sitting, normally from trauma of some sort to the coccyx) or piriformis syndrome just to name a few. Good luck.

acheybreakybody responded:
Hi Anon_169289,
I used to be in your situation as far as the sitting for any length of time. I have nerve issues DDD and arthritis which cause my difficulties so I also know what you are describing.
I sit on a 9x9x16 ROHO cushion all day at work and most times away from work to restaraunts, ball games etc. Including while I drive or sit as a passenger. This is my butt buddy as I laughingly refer to it.
It is a bit expensive if you have to pay for it yourself. Check it out on line and see what you think. Also check the guidlelines of your insurance to see if it might be covered for your conditions. It was covered for me by my insurance.
It really was a lift saver for me. I sit all day at work doing billing and without this I would have been lost.
Best of luck to you,
AcheyBreakyBody,
Sheryl

cweinbl responded:

I am in a very similar situation, after 40 years of degenerative disc disease, several herniated discs and four failed spine surgeries, including multilevel fusion.

I can stand for about five minutes and sit upright for about 20 minutes, before the pain turns to agony and I need to become horizontal. Even then, I'm in constant pain. But it's not the agony of sitting or standing.

This is with the most powerful pain medications possible and two comprehensive pain management programs. I had to retire from my university position at age 51. Still, I've since become a twice published author and a freelance writer. I can accomplish this with a laptop computer while lying down flat. I also have hobbies like ornithology and astronomy, that require little physical prowess.

Find something that is of interest to you. Become productive in some way. It is not necessarily the end of the world.
cweinbl csw2@bex.net

BILLSITTINGPAIN replied to David Maine, MD's response:
HELLO DR. DAVID MAINE,
I HERNIATED A DISC 6 YEARS AGO AT L4/L5 WHEN I WAS 54 YEARS OLD.. ALTHOUGH IT HAS MUCH IMPROVED, SITTING FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES IS INTOLERABLE. NO LEG PAIN, ONLY LOWER BACK PAIN, AND HIP PAIN ( THAT FORCES ME TO SLEEP ONLY ON MY STOMACH ). PAIN LEVEL VARIES DURING THE DAY, BUT NOT WORSE THAN 3 OUT OF 10, EXCEPT WHEN SITTING. DO YOU THINK SURGERY COULD HELP? HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT ANTIBIOTICS FOR MODIC CHANGES? DO YOU THINK MY BACK WILL IMPROVE WITH TIME, AND CONTINUED CONSERVATIVE TREATMENT?
THANK YOU FOR ANY COMMENTS,
BILL

Feardorcha68 replied to BILLSITTINGPAIN's response:
What's Modic pain?
I saw an article about antibiotics for chronic back pain.
It was recent and I don't recall where I read it.
Does anyone know about it?

Feardorcha

ctbeth replied to BILLSITTINGPAIN's response:
Hi Sitting Bull,

You'll need to be evaluated by your MD or, if possible, the MD who diagnosed you with a herniated disc six years ago.

Many times, herniated discs heal themselves, so you may have experienced the disc healing and are having a recurrence of the same disc, a different disc, or many, many other possibilities.

Your back may improve with time. It may improve with "conservative treatment": there are many possibilities.

First, you will need a diagnosis.

You can get diagnosed by an MD. He/ she will probably order some radio-diagnostic tests.

There are many reasons for back pain, and many treatments for most types of back pain.

Once diagnosed, your MD can then discuss treatment options.

Of course, surgery is one option for some of the diagnoses that can cause back pain.

No one can diagnose you via the internet, of course.

If the pain lasts more than a few weeks, it would be wise to consult with your MD.

best wishes,

Beth

BILLSITTINGPAIN replied to Feardorcha68's response:
HELLO FEARDORCHA,
MODIC PAIN IS A RECENT DISCOVERY. A STUDY IN DENMARK HAS FOUND THAT THE VERTERBRAE ADJACENT TO AN HERNIATED DISC MIGHT BECOME INFECTED WITH BACTERIA ( PERHAPS IN AS MUCH AS 40 % OF L.B.P. SUFFERERS ), CAUSING PAINFUL BONE SWELLING, THAT MIGHT RESPOND WELL TO A TREATMENT OF ANTIBIOTICS. ITS STILL IN THE EARLY STAGES OF STUDY. GOOGLE IT FOR MORE INFO.
BILL

Feardorcha68 replied to BILLSITTINGPAIN's response:
Hi Bill,
Ok I should have googled it. I'm going to now because it sounds very interesting and that many of us might have some of these things going on.
What harm would it do to let us take antibiotics fro a while and see if we get better?
If you read any good articles about Modic pain, can you post the link here?
Thanks and good luck,
Sincerely,

Feardorcha

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.