Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tell me about your experience with DLPA for pain
swgusr posted:
I am a long term pain management patient. Have been coping with opiates for many years and am more recently giving massage therapy a try. An aquaintance suggested that I try taking high dosages of the amino acid DLPA--3500mg/day.. The little I have read sounds promising. I would appreciate hearling feedback on others experience with DLPA.

Thanks - Scott

David Maine, MD responded:
Great question. DL-phenylalanine (DLPA) may serve to potentiate pain relief and also ease depression in patients receiving opioids. This is hypothesized to occur through up regulation of the opioids that are naturally synthesized in the body. There is no strong scientific evidence to support it use but the mechanism of pain relief is as suggested above. Best of luck.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.