Skip to content
Chronic Pain and it's development
proof43 posted:
I developed a torn ACL in 1988. The Air Force and Va did not want to treat it as I was only in my 30's. The knee problem developed into a bone on bone situation. I finally found a surgeon to replace the knee. My question is before I had my surgery I developed severe back pain. The MRI show compression and scaring. I had no back injury and am trying to find information coordinating the change in my gait to the back pain. This went on from 1988 until 2005 when I finally had surgery. if anyone can steer me to articles conforming my problem please let me know. Thanks

orcus responded:
I am suffering the same problems after a 10 year stint in the Corps. I am facing a total knee repacement shortly. I am sorry for your pain, I take enough narcotic pain meds to put down a horse. I am fortunate that I have other insuranse and do not have to rely on the VA in my area. The do not treat pain managment very seriosly.

annette030 replied to orcus's response:
I want to thank both you and Proof43 for your service to our country.

My son also did 8 years in the Corps and all that humping will ruin a man's knees, I think everyone who had all that marching and hiking in the Service should get reimbursed for it. My son is only 33 and his knees are a mess also.

I think part of the VA's poor response to pain is the whole military culture of sucking it up. Hopefully, they will come around along with civilian hospitals/healthcare.

I have to say that in my experience in nursing, the VA hospitals have vastly different reputations depending on what community they are in. I live in Portland, OR, now and the VA here is well thought off, but the VA in Reno had a terrible reputation back when I lived there.

Best of luck to both of you.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.