Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Follow up with pain management and Rheumatologist
cm219 posted:
Hey everyone,
I posted about two or three weeks ago about my problems. I have been diagnosed with osteochondritis disscans("avascular nercosis", where the is loss of blood flow to the bone and cartilage and eventually they the bone and/or cartilage break loose) of both knees. I have had an athrotomy with removal of loose bodies on the right knee and an arthroscopic surgery with removal of loose bodies on the left. I have been experiencing pain before and afer both surgeries.

Pain management has so far tried me on voltaren gel, lidoderm patches, ultram, and mobic. He said "this is the final visit before i start you on narcotics because nothing is seeming to work".

Recently I had an MRI for lower back pain. During the visit the pain management doctor stated the my discs in the lower portion of my back are degenerative. He also said that the MRI would be normal if "you" were a 60 year old man, but you are only 21 so this is not normal. I have a follow up appointment one week from today to maybe try me on some different medicine. So hopefully they can take care of this unbearable pain.

The rheumatologist that saw me today and didn't really do anything but take blood and ask questions about my surgeries and how long have I had pain. I told him about 4 years but the back pain is just recent. He also asked if the pain was worst in the morning and I told him yes. He wasn't very interested in my back he was only asking about my knees and did I injure them in anyway. There was no proper diagnosis from him, but he wanted to see me back in two weeks.

Honestly the doctors I see are really overlooking the point that I can't work or hardly get out of bed in the morning. This is tearing my life and marriage apart. It's like they literally don't listen and want to do what they want to do.

I hope to get some relief after the next pain management visit.

Thanks for listening you guys and if you have any kind of tip or anything to get a doctor to really listen, tell me because I am falling apart with pain. Its like no one takes me seriously because of my age which is 21.

CM

painlady1113 responded:
hi, the medical system can be difficult, my suggestions would be, if you are not getting good answers from your current doctors then switch to new doctors. but i would strongly urge you to hold off on the narcotics. they are only as a really last resort. i have avascular necrosis in both knees. for the last 24 years or so. what i have done to avoid surgery is bicycling in the gym. the recumbent bicycle. 1/2 hour on low tension. several times a week.
this to strenghthen area below and above knees to take stress off knees. I ice my knees every day. this is the best. i bought wrap around ice packs at the drug store.
ice packs will kill the knee pain. advills are the best for the pain. but be careful for your stomach. Advils beat narcotics for the knee pain. and Physical therapy of course. Also, once i started taking glucosamine sulphate plus chondroitan, bought at a vitamin store, my knees started to regenerate a little. they got much better. i take 5 pills a day of this. Also, if you are overweight, you might want to take a look at that. and swimming is always great. as for your spine, is your posture the best it can be. are your stomach muscles strong? it might help to get some good physical therapy for this. strong stomach and butt muscles will help decrease the pain. These are my suggestions based on my own experience. good luck with this. it takes hard work to get your health back. but i will never, ever have back surgery ever again. Marsha

cm219 replied to painlady1113's response:
I would have to say that different people handle medication differently. It's like my OTC's and NSAID's do not respond to my pain at all. My former ortho-surgeons stated that there is no need in taking Glucosamine w/ Chondrointin because there is no way to rebuild my cartilage. I have tried pretty much every drug on the market and nothing is yet to work. I'm only 21 years old and I only weigh 170 lbs.

After the bone fragment and cartilage actually break away it is kind of hard to do anything because the knee locks because of the bone shifting places throughout the joint.

My posture was great until the pain set in. The MRI showed that it's starting to curve differently. So now I can't really sit or stand straight up because it feels like my vertebrae are crushing each other.

But, thanks for the advice. Right now they are trying my on flexaril a muscle relaxant but it makes me extremely tired during the day.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.