Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
advice needed about constipation
Laura0711 posted:
Hi Everyone,

I was in the ER on Saturday morning because of nausea and abdominal pain. After having blood tests and an x-ray, they diagnosed me with constipation and sent me home with orders to use to Miralax. I didn't have any at home so I have been using a women's laxative and stool softener which has help some.

I'm wondering what you all use to treat and prevent constipation. I need some advice as to what works and what doesn't work. I take Oxycontin 10mg twice a day, so I need to figure out something that will prevent constipation.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Laura

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Laura,

While you're waiting for responses here, check out this earlier discussion (be sure to read all three pages):

Opiate induced constipation can be reversed
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

TDXSP08 responded:
Laura

Trust me, the Doctor is right skip the drama of other laxatives up's and dow's and unpredictability and the dependance issues that occur with other laxatives and run out and buy yourself a bottle of Miralax, Mix the odorless tasteless powder into your mooring oj or coffee or Tea as often as needed and you will be good to go (no pun intended) and i'm sure you will get back a lot of people who agree with your Doctor and and I.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

Kelly_30 responded:
Hi Laura,

I agree with TDXSP08. Miralax has been a miracle for me. Nothing worked for my constipation until I tried Miralax. I tried stool softeners and stimulant laxatives and they did nothing.

I mix the powder in cranberry-apple or cranberry-blueberry juice and the juice tastes the same as if you drink it without the Miralax mixed in. You can mix it in any non-alcoholic beverage 4oz or 8 oz. Make sure you stir it well until it dissolves. I find it works best if I take it before bedtime. I am able to go in the morning when I wake up.

There have been times I have had to repeat it the following evening and another following evening before I was able to go but never more than 3 doses (1 dose per day).

Usually opiate induced constipation is very difficult to prevent. You will more than likely have to take a medicine like Miralax on a consistent basis as long as you are on opiate medication. It is more a matter of managing constipation than preventing it.

Best of luck to you.

Kelly
Living one day at a time.

Debieabb1 replied to Kelly_30's response:
I have to agree with the Miralax recommendation but, may I add lot's of fresh fruit and vegetables. Also, fiber. I take fiber pills daily which are relatively inexpensive at stores such as Wal-mart. Don't forget to keep eating the natural fibers though. Adding lot's and lot's of water instead of soda and any other carbonated drinks will help. Stay away from salt because it causes bloating. When all else fails for me I drink some very strong coffee. It always seems to help. Decaf is just fine!

Just an added note, if you have to prepare for a colonoscopy type test where you have to clean out you intestinal system, do as above but leave out solid foods and add a liquids only approach for about a week before the scheduled clean out medicine is to be taken. ( eat jello, broth, soup, pudding, applesause etc!) You will avoid most of the cramping and intense pain that can happen during the "quick" evacuation that the medicine causes. You will be glad you did!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.