Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
degerantive disc disease
coyote50 posted:
Thank you everybody for the information you have given me. I am currently on some different meds, oxycodone, gabapentin and flector patch. At first these seem to help but lately I,m been hurting more. The Doctor I'm seening is a pain management doctor. I've been trying to get a second opionon with no luck at this time but I'll keep on trying. I walk at least 2 miles a day and I have started yoga. I keep reading all I can about this situation. I'm trying to keep a good attitude about life with the help of my husband and kids plus my coworkers. I think laughter helps alot with me coping with the unknown about my future. I still don't understand why surgery won't help but hopefully I will get my answers in the future. This is a great place for people to get together and help each other and I greatly appreciate all of your help.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello again, coyote50.

I am glad to see a post from you and that you are doing a good job of managing your pain and condition. That good attitude is very important as you have found.

Please feel free to post here anytime with questions or just to vent. We understand.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, Dave

coyote50 replied to davedsel57's response:
Again thankyou for all the support. This is so new to me and I'm glad to to know there is others like me. I am learning what to do and all about the meds I am taking. I'm not managing my pain very well at this time. The meds at first were working but now I'm hurting again, I go the pain clinic soon I wanted to go sooner but I felt like maybe I was asking for too much.. I hate hurting I want my old life back my family say they understand but I don't want to keep telling them how I feel and how I hurt all the time. I know to keep breathing and taking one day at a time. I'm trying new things like yoga which feels good and hurts at the same time. Is this how it goes? Do we try different meds and new ideas to feel good again? Will I ever feel good again? Again thanks for all the support and ideas i really love it and hope all goes well wih all of you

davedsel57 replied to coyote50's response:
Coyote50,

Part of that good attitude is learning to accept what we can not change. There is only so much medication, yoga, hot tubs, or any pain management tool can do. I have accepted my condition as permanent and simply make the best of it. Read my story and see how I am coping with chronic pain and have been for over 30 years.

No, it is not easy but you can do it.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, Dave

annette030 replied to davedsel57's response:
Me, too. Life goes on, it is generally good. I have pain every day, not like before I was diagnosed with FMS, but I have found with some adjustments to my life, I can deal with it.

Take care, Annette

_swank_ replied to coyote50's response:
One thing I don't do is constantly tell people how I feel and about my pain. It's tiresome for them and it only serves to keep reminding yourself. You'll only bring yourself and everyone around you down. And never ever tell them about the meds you're taking.

I keep my mind busy and don't dwell on something I can't change. As a result, I can spend a good portion of my day not thinking about pain at all.

annette030 replied to _swank_'s response:
I agree with Swank. I also do not discuss it in general conversation, only with very close friends/family, and then rarely.

Best not to dwell on pain.

Take care, Annette

coyote50 replied to annette030's response:
You are right about not constantly talking about my pain or meds to everybody. When I have bad days I just try to do some of my yoga poses which really helps with some of my pain and I try to think of only positive things that I can do. You are right to say there is really nothing you can do about the pain you have but to live your life to the fullest and the pain seems to disappear. I really enjoy that so many people are willing to help each other with ideas and some of the things that they have learn going through their lives. Thank you so much. Be good to yourselves. Kim

coyote50 responded:
Hi everybody!!!
I haven't written lately so I thought I tell you whats going on. In the next few weeks I am finally going to see two more doctors for a second and third opioion on my back. Thanks everybody for telling me about that. I keep going to the pain management doc and they keep uping and changing my meds and none have worked so far. In fact the last time I went there I told them about all my fears and new pains etc and I came out crying. She didnt seem to be listening to me. That's when I really started to find another docs for their opinions. Just has another mri taken and i really don't understand what is in it my they happen to find a synovial cyst at L4-5 which compromises the lateral aspect of the thecal sac and later recess. (?) Not sure what that all means. I guess I have to wait until my appts. Again thanks everybody for the boost even though I have pain, I try doing as much as possible to be a healthier me.
Thanks again,
Love Kim

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to coyote50's response:
Thanks for returning here, Kim, to give us an update on how things are going for you.

I hope the second and maybe third opinions are able to help.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

coyote50 replied to coyote50's response:
Hi everybody,
I just wanted to give everybody an update. I've seen the other doctors and they have finally given me some hope. I will be going for an fusion for my L4-L5 and a laminectomy, sorry for my spelling, for the cyst I have on my back which is pushing against my nerves which has been causing my extreme pain.
The pain doc gave me more pain meds which still doesnt help. Hopefully with the operation some of my pain will go away or at least not be so extreme. I go in the day before Thanksgiving which is kind of a drag but then again the sooner the better I can start feeling alittle bit better. Again thanks for all the input. I will try to keep you inform on how everything goes after my stay in the hospital. Happy Holidays to all.
Love,
Kim

annette030 replied to coyote50's response:
Best of luck to you with your surgery. I hope all goes well for you.

Take care, Annette

jeanmarie1958 replied to coyote50's response:
I had a fusion of l4-l5-It is not a fun surgery-but the nurses gave me morphine when it got too much-after 3 days i wnt into after care for 2 weeks-got therapy every day-I am fine now-so glad i got it done and thanked God for a great surgeon-can't lift over 15 pounds for the next year-Hope all goes well with you-will pray for your quick recovery-it will be well worth it-hugs Shirley

coyote50 replied to jeanmarie1958's response:
Thanks for sharing your experince. Its gives me an insite how this will be going. I am a little nervous but going in with a positive attitude. I really believe in my surgeon and having confindence in him I feel this helps. Thanks for the prayers and I will keep everybody in touch on what happens next.
Thanks and love,Kim

cweinbl responded:

Many spine conditions are not amenable for surgery. Many patients are not candidates for surgery. It's far from automatic. Also, be careful what you wish for. The success rate for spine sugery is about 60%. Moreover, all surgery creates fibrosis (scar tissue). Fibrosis can impinge a spinal nerve root, causing as much pain as the bone or disc did before it was removed. I've had four failed spine surgeries, two of which were at one of the finest (by reputation) spine centers in the nation, in Cleveland. The lead surgeon performed them. They both failed, leading to even more pain.

One more thing (and please don't take this the wrong way). If you can walk two miles per day, you are functioning very, very well. I'm not talking about your pain and I'm not doubting it at all. By comparison, I cannot stand for more than five minutes or sit upright for mroe than 20-30- minutes, before the pain moves from severe to agony. I'm 58 years old. I had to retire from the university at age 51. All things are relative. I would give my right arm to be able to walk around the block, let alone two miles.

Laughter is an excellent pain fighter. In fact, anything that serves as a distraction helps. I turned to writing seven years ago. I thought it might be a nice causal hobby. Since I retired, I've published four books with one more on the way. I also listen to music, watch sports and movies and I've adopted ornithology as a hobby. Anything you can do to distract yourself is good.

There are dozens of non-invasive and minimally-invasive pain management treatments. For example, I can reduce my pain by about 20% with biofeedback alone. If your pain management doctor is part of a comprehensive service, you should be able to try most or all of the following treatments: corset, brace, TENS, traction, acupuncture, biofeedback, physical therapy, kinesiotherapy, injection of steroids and anesthetics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, cortisone, rhyzotomy (radio frequency denervation), spinal cord stimulator, intrathecal infusion pump, off-label medications (anti-depressants, anti-convulsants), combination of long-acting pain medication with breakthrough meds, counseling, hypnosis and meditation. If not, then you should ask for a referral to a comprehensive pain clinic.

Finally, if you have constant pain, you might do much better with a long-acting pain medication. Oxycodone is a short-acting drug. You must deal with the ups and downs associated with plasma level changes. But, if you switch to Oxycontin (same drug — long-acting form), you will maintain the same plasma level 24/7. But, if you only have pain once in a while, then your current medication could be appropriate. Gabapentin is an anti-convulsant, not designed for pain. It's got some potential neuropathic pain fighting properties. Lyrica is a newer form. Good luck!
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.