Skip to content
Mepergan Fortis
jik04 posted:
I am extremely upset there is no longer Mepergan as this was a fantastic pain reliever for me. Having had L3 thru L5 back fusion for which I have chronic pain along with needing a T11 to L1 repair at present, I take Oxycontin 40 and have good success with controlling my pain. But sometimes my spine moves wrong and the Oxycontin will not help. My neurosurgeon would send me to the ER for Demerol shots. After a couple of times of going for shots, the ER would charge of around $1200 which my insurance would leave me with a balance of around $450 to pay for just one shot! I told him the relief was good but just could not afford to pay that kind of money for the relief. He had no idea they charged that much and gave me a prescription of Mepergan and they only cost like $15 for 60 of them. This way when my back went out I could usually take like four of the Mepergan during the day and my back would get better.

I have not had a script of the Mepergan since like 2008 and in December of 2010 I had to have knee replacement surgery to which I developed an infection. The got real bad from the infection and the pain meds I was getting did not help the pain. I asked dr. to write me some Mepergan only to find out it was no longer made. He wrote me some Demerol and Phenergan it did work like the Mepergan as I still had like four of the Mepergan from 2008 left. This is terrible they have stopped making this pill and I am betting it was because of the junkies abusing this pain medication. Now those of us with chronic pain have to suffer because of the junkies abuse. Not fair or right to pull this good medication of the shelf.

Can anyone give me more information about why Mepergan is no longer made? Is there anyway that people could go about possibly getting Mepergan produced again? It worked fantastic for me on certain times when my back got out of place onto the nerve plus saved me a ton of money by not having to go for shots in the ER. just very bummed out about this issue as I have been down for the last three days with back out whack on the nerve causing severe pain sitting, walking, pretty much anything other than laying down and sure could use some Mepergan now. Any info would be appreciated of you on Mepergan. Did the company pull it or the DEA shut it down? Thank you and have a good day.

Pain Suffering in Texas

Magsjeanea responded:
I have tried to research why Mepergan is no longer available. The local pharmacist did say that your doctor can write a prescription for Demerol and one for phenergan. That seems to be the only way you will get the type of medication that will help you.
Hope you find the answers you are seeking.
Take good care,
Love Goes There,

Mag's Jeaneau

annette030 responded:
Demerol is out of favor due to its metabolites causing neurotoxicity (seizures, tremors, etc.), not due to abusers of opiates.

There is no way to estimate who will have a bad reaction to this drug or when. It could be with chronic use, it could be will occasional use. I suspect that with low use of the drug, manufacturers weren't making enough money to continue making it in all forms.

According to my drug handbook for advanced nurse practitioners, oral meperidine should not be used for acute or chronic pain management.

As I recall Mepergan is a formula that contains both oral meperidine (Demerol) and phenergan, it is no longer listed in my drug handbook.

As a nurse, I agree with their point about meperidine. Have your tried all the other types of pain meds to see if any others work for you? Oxycodone is only one opiate, there are lots of other ones. A short acting pain med seems like what you need for the type of occasional pain you describe.

Take care, Annette

jik04 replied to annette030's response:
Thank you for your reply. I think you are right about it probably pertains to money. The Oxycontin works for like 8-12 hours for my back pain it is just when something in my spine moves wrong that I have to use the Mepergan. That is only about 1-2 times a year that happens thank goodness. But when this does happen the Oxycontin did not work and the Demerol (Mepergan) would relieve my pain so that my back would usually move back into place.
Like you said the cost of the Mepergan was very little unlike Oxycontin which is very expensive. Sure there is a lot of money made there.
Again thanks for your reply.

annette030 replied to jik04's response:
In this case I think the problem was that the Demerol caused problems as it was metabolized inside the body more than it was about the $$. Have you tried one of the stronger opiate drugs?

Take care, Annette

mskite responded:
Mepergin is made of mepridine hcl inj/ a narcotic pain reliever and promethazine hcj inj. a antihistimine and antialergic to counteract the effects of the narco pain reliever. They are both generics.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.