Skip to content
Severe pain under back of right ribs
mskite posted:
My wife has severe pains, (like bends her double) and it is several minutes before it starts to ease. It is on her side up under rib cage.Doctors cannot seeem to find cause of it. Appendix removed years ago and no blows to side to cause it. This has been going on for about 2 years and several doctors have checked her. Does anyone know of a case like this? Any cure? We are thinking of camera and scope to check it.

Take the Poll

Does anyone know of a similar case and what type doctor to use?
  • Professional answer if possible
  • Anyone familiar with this type case
vote
View Poll Results

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mskite,

I'm sorry to hear about the pain your wife is experiencing.

You say several doctors have checked her but not what kinds of tests she's been given... CT scan, etc.?

So yes, it sounds like it's time for more exploration.

P.S. I'm not a health professional but even if I was, couldn't guess at what this may be. Let us know what they find out and keep pursuing those answers. She deserves them.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Conki responded:
Hi, mskite. This sounds so much like what I went through. Although, I have had my gallbladder removed(the old fashion way)when I was 14 and thought it may be scar tissue or something ripped when this happened. I live on a farm and (did) hard work, including heavy lifting. But never would I have guessed what it turned out to be. This is just 'my' story on the "upper right side, under the ribs and a little bit below" with bad pain. The year 2004, I experienced as to what you are describing and immediately went to the doctor. After many test and visits...nothing could be found. The pain did eventually subside to a constant dull ache with some worse pain far and few between. Sometimes, lying on my right side bothered me. In 2008, while moving furniture around in my house, lifting a few heavy objects, I got severe pain in my lower back. Immediately taken to the doctor, a MRI was ordered and I asked if they could go to my mid-upper back(thought maybe something would show in my right rib area)because I have had MRI's and CT's of my lower back(herniated disc's)which is what was originally ordered. Orders were changed. The doctor said that my spine was swollen and sent me to a neurologist. The results were: Thoracic herniated 7,8,9,10 with T-8 being a calcified disc with spinal cord impingement. This is where my pain was coming from? This sounds 'crazy'! "How does this make my upper right side hurt?" Answer: "Thoracic, the chest cavity area and upper abdomen . Most people have no symptoms." I am only writing this because this was 'my' case. Hope some answer is found for your wife. Please keep 'community' informed, as there are so many 'odd' symptoms, to what may help someone.

annette030 responded:
Ones liver is just under the lower rib cage on the right hand side of the abdomen. The colon is also there.

I would see a gastroenterologist (GI doctor) to check this out if her pcp has not already suggested it.

Take care, Annette

mskite replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Caprice and thanks for the post. It reminded me I forgot to post all tests. Have had upper and lower GI, gall bladder removed and ultra sound trying to find the problem. It could also be spinal problems for the lower vertebrates are nearly rubbing together. Our Orthopedic DR. said he could only do about one fourth the surgeries she needs. The others would be to dangerous. This diagnosis was after a spinal mri.

Troubleshoot responded:
I too had an appendectomy and lived for almost 1.5 years with the SAME pain. On the right side just under the rib cage somewhere betwen the front and back of the body. While taking azithromcin for what might have been mycoplasma pneumonia I notced that this and several other pains (nondescript) around the abdom CHANGED and abaited. I thought the pains were adhesions from the surgery but when they changed with antibiotics I entered the world of weird science ..... I'm trying to understand what all this means now.. Any one else out there with this kind of weird story?

suzy1of9 responded:
I have been going through the same thing. I would appreciate it if someone has an answer. I am about to go broke from all of the test and appointments and doctors. Tahank you, suzy1of 9

udlovetoknow responded:
Sphincter of oddi has a lot of these symptoms and is hard to diagnosis unless your seen by a good gastroenterologist. I have it and almost felt crazy before being diagnosed at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

montecil responded:
I have experienced this pain and was told that I had IBS. Then one night the pain was so extreme that I went to the ER. They order a CT scan and found nothing, several days before I had ultra sound the found nothing. The I went to a GI and had a colonoscopy and a endoscopy. But was told to bring a stool speci. The result was my pancreas was not even functioning at 10%.. I was put on Creon and I am doing much better. Having EPI also caused type diabetes, fatty liver, high cholesterol. There is no cure for EPI and I will need to be on Creon for the rest of my life.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.