Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CELEXA
it_is_what_it_is posted:
has any one heard of this being given for pain. dose any one have any experience with it.

davedsel57 responded:
Celexa is an anti-depressant. There are several anti-depressants being used now for chronic pain and this is one. I have no personal experience with Celexa, but did try Cymbalta for chronic pain and it did not work for me.

Has your doctor prescribed this medication for you to try for chronic pain? If so, please let us know how it is working for you.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

it_is_what_it_is replied to davedsel57's response:
hi Dave i am seeing a new doctor and he wants me to try celexa instead of tramadol. i don't like taking medication. however i might give it a try i am so tired of fighting the pain all the time. so i was wondering if any one out there had used it. thanks for your input, i did not know antidepressants were being used for pain. ( how dose that work?)

annette030 replied to it_is_what_it_is's response:
Tramadol is specifically for pain and works on the opioid receptors of your central nervous system, like the opiates do.

Celexa is an antidepressant and also may be useful for pain, as it helps your body retain serotonin, a neurotransmitter that mediates both mood and pain signals, so it may work for both pain and depression. Or it may not. Antidepressants do not work to help control my chronic pain, but they do work for some other people.

My personal opinion is if the tramadol works, why change it? But if it doesn't work at all, why not try something else?

Take care, Annette

it_is_what_it_is replied to annette030's response:
after talking to my doctor again, he told me he dose not want me to stop talking tramadol he want to add celexa to it. i have struggle with depression for many years, i have never taken medication for it. i am just so tired between pain and depression i feel like i giving in by talking medication.

davedsel57 replied to it_is_what_it_is's response:
If you had a broken leg, would you refuse a cast? If you had appendicitis, would you refuse surgery? You are not "giving in by taking medication". The medication is a tool to help your condition improve or help you function despite your condition.

I was diagnosed as having Bi-Polar disorder in April 1998 after a 3 day stint in the psych ward of a local hospital. I was on three medications for several years and was eventually able to wean off all three under doctor supervision. I have other health conditions and will be on prescription medications for those the rest of my life.

Please consider your doctor's advice and try adding the Celexa and see if it helps. Let us know how you are doing.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

annette030 replied to it_is_what_it_is's response:
Tramadol and Celexa are two completely different types of drugs.

Tramadol works like the opiate do, it binds with the opiate receptors in your central nervous system. It makes you not really care about pain, it does not stop the pain itself.

Although the antidepressant, Celexa, may help your depression also, he may be prescribing it primarily for pain management. The antidepressants mediate the neurotransmitters that send pain messages to your brain. These neurotransmitters also carry the messages for moods, like depression. They just happen to help with both, depending on the dosage.

Like Dave said, give it a try, like you would any other medical treatment. If you were taking meds for high blood pressure, would it matter? Don't tell your friends or co-workers if you are worried about the stigma, but when it comes down to it who cares what they think anyway?

I do feel it is smart of you to question why first, but when it comes down to it, only you know what is right for you.

Take care, Annette

it_is_what_it_is replied to davedsel57's response:
good point dave, i am going to see my doctor in dec and talk to him about adding something that might help me with pain and depression. thank you for your concern.

it_is_what_it_is replied to annette030's response:
thank you for the respect and support. i will be talking to my doc in dec.

TDXSP08 replied to it_is_what_it_is's response:
I Take Celexa fop Depression and PM and i find it to be a Viable med in both areas, i recently had my dosage lowered and after about 3 weeks i noticed that my depressive " i don't want to deal with anything / i'm bored of everything in life" has returned and my day to day base level of pain has clicked up 3/4ths to a whole point most days. So as i say i does make a difference as i am a long time user of Celexa reducing my dosage from 80MG to 40MG was a tough road, but with the new black box warning just implemented on Celexa and it's dosing we had to do it.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

it_is_what_it_is replied to TDXSP08's response:
thanks, i was hopping to here from someone who was taking it. i am glad it has worked for you, although i have been fighting talking medication for many years i think i am going to try and see what happens. i am just to tired to gone on this way. dose it make you feel drug or out of control? what side effects if any ?

TDXSP08 replied to it_is_what_it_is's response:
Taken at bedtime for the first few weeks of taking it you will sleep better. but other than that i had no real side effects that i can remember saying gee whiz i do not like this, and there was not any drugged feeling or any of that hinkyness of feeling like you are doing what the Med's "let" you do, so theres no feeling like your 2nd shooter n a video game but its your life. i think thats what you were asking , if i'm wrong tell me!

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

it_is_what_it_is replied to TDXSP08's response:
thanks, that is exactly what i was asking. i don't like being in a fog ( second shooter) the sleep side effect would be great. i notice if i take the tramadol with out eating, or if i am very tiered i feel high which i don't want to get use to., so i am careful how and when i take it.

rockmebabe replied to annette030's response:
I take Tramadol and hate it.

annette030 replied to rockmebabe's response:
What do you hate about it? I would discuss this with your doctor.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.