Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain meds "How Much"
gotahog2003 posted:
I know everyone is different and naturally it all depends on the injury, But what is considered a "High dosage" of pain meds? It seems to be a subject that the Doc's don't want to talk about. But what is the point that you say WOW that person is on alot of meds? Thanks for any answers.

annette030 responded:
You don't ever say that!!! The medicine dose is between a person and their doctor.

Each person is different, and pain meds often cause tolerance anyway over time.

Take care, Annette

WillyPain responded:
There are levels on some over-the-counter medication that I am sure may be a bit on the conservative side, regarding mg/day. My experience has been that the Medical Community, and I agree with this, would rather err on the side of conservatism than cause a fatality; especially when something is within control.
Tolerances may be built toward these medications and I am a great fan of homeopathy and naturopathy, and use a topical I know works.
Regarding controlled substances, I believe the same holds true, in that the Rx doseage will be first conservative. You are correct in that is subjective, different for each indiviual and situation, type injury, etc. Again, tolerance is built, which is why I like the stuff I use.

ctbeth responded:
Are you concerned about a loved one and his/her dosages?

Remember that tolerance is a normal physiological phenomenon;

addiction is a psychological disorder.

If you'd like to write more details of what's on your mind- and you can post anonymously if you'd like- maybe some of us can help you through it, okay.

Good luck.

CTB

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.