Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Chronic pain...need help - Orlando FL area
    Roni207 posted:
    Hi guys! I am a 48 yr old female, and while I've lurked on this board for a long time, I don't think I've ever posted.

    I recently moved to Kissimmee, FL from NE Pennsylvania and haven't found a new doctor yet. I'll try to make my post as short as possible but I do tend to talk....and talk....and talk.......LOL! Please forgive me in advance if this is too long!

    I've had chronic pain from a kidney disease since very young, plus Fibromyalgia for almost 10 years, arthritis, etc. I'm a former nurse who has been on SS Disability for almost 9 years (although I keep my license current in case of a medical miracle

    I am in pain every day of my life......some days are worse than others. What can I is a guys know all about that already!

    When in PA though, I had a wonderful family doctor and Rheumatologist. My pain management was taken care of really well by my family doc. While my meds have been changed over the years depending on my pain level, for the last almost 3 years I've been on Methadone every 6 hours, which works very well to keep my pain at a (mostly) manageable level.

    Well, now I'm living in Kissimmee, FL and have probably less than a month left of my pain meds, and I'm starting to panic. Someone on another message board (not a pain board, just a regular discussion board) said that in Florida, family doctors can NOT prescribe pain meds. Is that true?? Do you have to go to an actual Pain Clinic?

    If there is anyone here who either lives in Florida, especially the Orlando/Kissimmee area, or is just familar with the medical community here, and knows a good, compassionate doctor, please, please let me know! Or, a good pain clinic. While of course I'd rather find one close by, I would drive where I need to if I found a great doctor or clinic who was up to date on Fibro, chronic pain.

    I found one pain clinic online that sounded very knowledgable about chronic pain, but then at one spot they stated that "chronic pain patients are RARELY treated with opiates due to the risk of addiction".......which is just not true!

    As I'm sure you all know, there are thousands of chronic pain patients who are treated with opiate medications......and, there are only a small percentage of actual pain patients who become addicted to their meds. It drives me to insanity but I think most people confuse "physical dependance" with "addiction"!

    I'm so scared that I'll run out of my medications and not be able to find anyone to prescribe them for me. That in itself would be an emergency, I know that you guys know that you can't just stop this type of meds suddenly.....not to mention the agony that would overtake me as they wore off.

    I really don't know where to begin to look for a new doctor, I've never been in this situation before. When I was still working, as a nurse you get to see and interact with the doctors, and you can tell who is compassionate and truly cares about their patients, and who doesn't. I no longer have that kind of access so I feel lost beginning my search.

    Oh, in case this makes a difference regarding doctors, I have Medicare.....I also have to find a new Medicare Advantage plan in Florida! I want to choose one where I can pick my doctors to make it easier to find one.

    I can understand if anyone doesn't want to name doctors by name on the public message if you have any recommendations, feel free to message me or email me, however it works on this board.

    Thank you so much in advance for any help anyone can give me!

    I hope you all have a good night, and are as free from pain as you can be!

    (((((((((gentle hugs))))))))))

    Roni207 responded:
    Hi again! I am sorry, I just read where no one is allowed to post names of doctors, etc. on this board. I apologize for asking!

    If anyone has someone in mind though, please email me at:

    (This email address is only for replies to message board posts)

    Thanks again!
    annette030 responded:

    I am a RN also, disabled since 1998 or so, but I also keep my license up to date, at least it is in Calif. I am also hoping for a medical miracle.

    I have never lived in Florida so I am not much help with doctors.

    I found that interviewing a new pcp after talking to the office staff is best. They ALL say they don't give opioids to chronic pain patients, that is to weed out the drug abusers. I ignore that, and just tell them my story, and give them copies of my medical records, tests, etc. Also a list of my current meds. I am open to all types of pain management, and leave it up to them.

    So far, so good. I have always been able to get my pain meds along with whatever else I need. I give the new pcp 2-4 appts. to get to know me, trust is a two way street. They have always agreed to prescribe whatever I was on before.

    I have had to get consults with pain management specialists sometimes, no big deal. But, that is out here in Oregon, not in Florida.

    Best of luck.

    Take care, Annette
    Roni207 replied to annette030's response:
    Thanks Annette, that makes a lot of sense! I have sent for my medical record so that I can take it to my first appointment with my new doctor, whoever that turns out to be. My old doctor also said that the new one may call him at any time if they have any questions, so hopefully that will help get me established as well.
    Here's hoping for our miracle someday!

    (((((gentle hugs)))))))

    annette030 replied to Roni207's response:
    Good luck in your search! Taking your medical records with you is fine, but do not feel bad if they also ask for written releases so they can get copies straight from your old doctor. Some practices do that, because it is so easy for folks to change things in their records nowadays.

    Take care, Annette
    Roni207 replied to annette030's response:
    Annette, once again, something I didn't even think about.....LOL! Thanks so much, and I'll keep you updated on my search!

    annette030 replied to Roni207's response:
    Best of luck to you in your search.

    Take care, Annette
    hissxyangel responded:
    I am also new to Orlando and need help with lower back stenosis . I have tried the ultram and it does nothing I also suffer from interstatial cystitis and have severe bladder pain at times . I have gone to the emergency room so much they are going to end up not helping me there anymore if I can not find a doctor who will help me soon . Please if anyone knows a good doctor that helps treat pain with real pain medication I would really appreciate your assistance. my email is
    peskypain replied to hissxyangel's response:
    Hi there Hissxyangel...

    You have replied to a post/thread that is almost a year old. You can get more a response if you start your own new thread by hiting the button Start New Topic (I think that's the but something to that effect.

    I would be very careful about posting your email address as I hope it's a throwaway account that you made just for this website as everyone around the world can see this board and spam your email:(

    In reference to your situation. Unfortunately you are going to make it very hard for yourself to find a good PM Dr. if you continue to use the ER for the same type of pain. They should be telling you that it is a true emergency and you should come back if you have the same symptoms...or tell you it really isn't an emergency if you have similar pains and to just treat at home.

    The regular, non opiate treatments for interstitial cystitis is medication like:

    Advil, Motrin, Naproxen and other NSAIDs
    Antihistamines like Benadryl or Claritin
    Pentosan is the only med approved by the FDA specifically for IC.

    And then there is a TENS unit which helps stimulate the nerves which helps the pelvic pain and reduce urinary frequency.

    There is also the procedure of bladder distention. This is where you would undergo a cytoscopy to stretch the bladder.

    And then there is surgery as the last resort.

    So, there are not many Drs. who use opiates as the main line of treatment for IC so you may run into trouble there. It's one thing if a Dr. wants to "add" this to your plan but seeking out the ER or a DR . to only get opiates is not going to fare well for you I'm afraid.

    Good luck..
    annette030 replied to hissxyangel's response:
    The ER usually has to refer you to a doctor that is qualified to help you. Generally, they take turns taking call so they must see you at least one time after your ER visit. Not for free though, they charge their usual rates. Have you connected with any of these doctors? Is back pain your major concern or bladder pain? The doctors that treat these two different things may have completely different specialties. Have you seen a Pain Management Specialist?

    Another option is to check with your health insurance company and see who can see you.

    If by "real pain medicine" you are alluding to opioids, that is not the way to evaluate a doctor as "good".

    The ER is not the place to go to be treated for chronic pain.

    Take care, Annette
    Cleo130 replied to hissxyangel's response:
    Hi Shelley, I also suffer from Interstitial Cystitis, along with IBS, fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteoporosis, carpal tunnel, and a few others. I've also tried Ultram, with no results.

    I live in Vero Beach, and I see a doctor in Port St. Lucie. If you're interested I can send a message to your email address. Please let me know if you are interested in getting some info!

    Best of Luck, Beth
    benjaxhoon replied to Cleo130's response:
    am an indiana resident. any docs that would treat me?
    cweinbl responded:
    1. WebMD does not allow us to recommend specific physicians or practices.

    2. I would refuse to move from my current location for that very reason. Without our current medications, many (most?) of us would find life not worth living. I would never take that chance. The only possible exception would be to move to a state with medical marijuana laws, which greatly benefit millions of Americans with chronic pain.

    3. I am so very sorry for you and your current circumstance. I'm one of a very small population of people who can truly comprehend your agony. I wish you the very best luck in finding a compassionate physician or PM program.

    4. Let this be a lesson for all of us contemplating a move from one location or one state to another one. If you currently have a compassionate physician who is providing ample medication to meet your needs, be forewarned about moving. It could become the worst decision.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.