Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Holidays and Pain
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
We're entering into the holiday season which can be wonderful but can also be stressful for many and can mean additional pain if we don't pace ourselves.

1. What stresses you out leading up to the holidays?

2. Are you able to set yourself boundaries and what's your best tip for pacing yourself that you can share here?

3. Are you able to say 'no' when family and friends want you to come to just one more gathering or celebration, or to stay longer when you're tired?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

bilher responded:
My family is very good about how I feel. If I am not up to company, they visit among themselves. I am able to rest whether they are with me or not. I have a lot of support to help me with all my needs.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to bilher's response:
It's wonderful to hear that your family is so understanding and supportive, Bilher.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

anotherbsday responded:
Stupid rude people who think stores open and employee everyone and there standing around just waiting for you to walk in the door. Thats a major stressor!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to anotherbsday's response:
Hi Anothersbsday,

I didn't quite understand that second one.... can you elaborate a bit?

Do you do any online shopping? That can cut down on the rude people encounters.
~Joseph Campbell

head2toe replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Caprice,
Good Point!!
Although i miss the hustle and bustle and decorations at the mall....even Santa lol! I am so glad i am able to shop online and by TV. For me it's a real lifesaver...the best part for me is still being able to give!

Happy Holidays to you and your family and everyone here!

I'm sending positive thoughts that we all can have the best Holiday giving our situations.

Sincerely,
Debbie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to head2toe's response:
Happy Holidays to you and yours too, Debbie! Thank you!
~Joseph Campbell

sallen2971 responded:
In stead of trying to prepare everything Thanksgiving day and watching the parade on tv, I will do a little each day from Monday til Thursday. Cleaning the house 1 room each day and the guys are mopping and vacuuming for me. Paper good this year..and disposable cookware. no cleanup left for me to do. I think it is all about planning. My husband helped with the grocery list and also I divided out duties for others to bring like tea, rolls, desert. I just cannot do it all anymore. I said "no" and really did not feel guilty at all. I am not going all out for Christmas decor this year...sweet and simple. It is not about how beautiful my home is , it is about Christ, family and making memories while we can.
Happy Thanksgiving and A Very Merry Christmas Season to all!!
Stacy

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to sallen2971's response:
Good for you for delegating, Stacy, and pacing yourself.

Happy Thanksgiving!
~Joseph Campbell

mazzarisi responded:
Ido not know how to respond pain this season is close to unbearable and Idon't mean physical /mental anguish due to meds Opana but it seems its the only drug that works! stress is overwhelming a upcoming surgery is needed Iwish there were support groups any info on this?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to mazzarisi's response:
Hi Mazzarisis and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to start a new discussion and elaborate a bit more on what the issues are for you so others can better support you. What surgery, what physical pain are you being treated for, what's going on that you are so stressed, etc.

To start your own discussion, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
~Joseph Campbell

Iwillfeelgood responded:
I made an outline of activities and set a time limit.

day 1 am drag out the decorations
day 1 pm pull out everything that is going up
day 2 am put back everything not going up
day 2 pm put up tree and check lights
day 3 am put on lights
You see what I'm getting at here.

I am also limiting gifts to 1 each and buy them in spurts:
day 1 trip to the discount perfume store
day 2 trip to Walmart toy department

I have not put pressure on myself to get all done right away. I have greatly reduced the decorating. Buy ready made food for pot lucks. Cook one dish for holiday dinners, let rest of family bring the rest. Don't be afraid to tell the family you need to lay down for 30 minutes when you have had enough. Do things that make you feel happy: watch old happy movies, sit quietly and enjoy the Christmas tree, cuddle up on the couch with your pup or kitty, or even the 2 legged loved ones, go grab a decaf peppermint mocha at Starbucks -- in a real cup, or curl up with instant hot chocolate in front of the fire.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Iwillfeelgood's response:
Sounds like you've got it sorted out, Iwillfeelgood, Your schedule sounds a lot like mine. *chuckle*
~Joseph Campbell

TDXSP08 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well lets see i lost my fathers dad on thanksgiving day ,then comes december the 3rd is my birthday the 7th was my Mothers dads birthday and now my dogs birthday the 12th is the anniversary of my families murder that i survived and christmas day was my Mom's Dads death, my family had something about holidays, so to the "holidays" i say sleep it off bahhh humbug however you spell it , yeah i also became disabled myself with the paralysis and loss of my continence between christmas and new years. so what exactly should i be joyful about with a month so packed chock full of terrible emotional gut wrenching stuff.

Just a thought

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to TDXSP08's response:
I know many for whom the holidays are difficult because of loss of many kinds. I'm so sorry this time of year is nothing but a reminder of those for you.

Be gentle with yourself and may they pass quickly enough for you. (((hugs)))
~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.