Skip to content
reply to migraine post
lindseyvanbeek posted:
I too have suffered with migraines since I was 16. The first thing I'm going to say is that you are incredibly lucky to find a doctor that cares enough to try everything to help you. My experiences with multiple doctors have not helped me at all. I have some major issues with medication because I metabolize them way too fast so most of them only work for the first few times I use them. Everyone else posts that pain meds aren't good for migraines and for the most part, that is true. However, what they don't understand is that sometimes, there is no other option. When you are in so much pain that you literally just want to die because of it and it occurs multiple times a week, you need that help. Most doctors cannot find the underlying cause of anyone's migraines and that is why the treatment is ALWAYS medication focused. Between preventative meds and emergent meds, you will probably end up trying everything they have on the market for migraines. My suggestion to you is to forget about the headache diary because I'm pretty sure that you have already done that multiple times. It's the first line of defense for all doctors that have a patient with migraines. You don't mention much about your experience with the preventative meds (like inderal or topamax) so that is definitely something you should continue to research. I have a very extensive list of preventative medications that I have tried that may help you and I will include it at the end of my post. Another thing you can do is more research. I'm sure that you have read all of the generic articles that they publish about migraines and they all say the same things, but I have found it useful to look more at blogs and forums that discuss people's personal experiences with medication. It's actually given me a lot of suggestions that I could pass on to my doc for new things to try. The emergent medication that I take is called Esgic Plus. It is a very old medication but I have found it incredibly effective considering the fact that nothing else works and that none of my doctors will prescribe me anything even remotely strong to help. You might try adding Esgic Plus into the cocktail of meds that you are using. It's not as strong as either of the meds your taking now, but maybe it will give you that extra boost you need to reduce some of the pain. Most of the doctors that treat migraines do not have personal and first-hand experience with migraines, so they do not understand the actual pain involved and what you go through on a day to day basis. You keep trying to have a normal life all the while knowing that it is practically impossible for you to do so because the pain is just too much to deal with. The most important thing to do is try to find that one preventative medication that can help. Even if it only takes away one migraine a week, it is still worth it. So don't give up on those!! I know that is gets frustrating trying all of these different medications, but eventually something will come along that will help. If your doctor can come up with a way to find the underlying cause then that is great, but until then, don't give up on medication. Don't let your doctors give up and don't ever stop looking for something that will help you. Once you lose the will to fight, then the pain will just get worse than ever.

Preventative Meds: prednisone, verapamil, cafergot, lisinopril, topamax, amitriptyline, depakote, inderal, acetazolamide, butterbur, clonidine, captopril, flunarizine, cyproheptadine, trimipramine, phenelzine, citalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, cymbalta, trazodone, feverfew, melatonin, tizanidine, zoloft, celexa, prozac

*Some of these are for depression, some for anxiety, and some for other random conditions-if you haven't tried some of these then I think it might be worth it to give them a try-double check them with your doctor and get his opinion as well

I hope this helps in some way!! I know how frustrating migraines are and I hope you find something that works for you

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.