Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Myofacial syndrome
jamrock34 posted:
I was wondering what is the best way to deal with myofacial syndrome. What is the best way to deal with the pain of this syndrome? How does this syndrome develop in the body? What is the best treatment for this syndrome?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jamrock and welcome to WebMD,

While you're waiting for responses here, try also posting on our Fibromyalgia Community . They often talk there about this syndrome and how to handle it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

David Maine, MD responded:
The exact cause of MPS is unknown. That being said it is a fairly common occurrrence. The standard treatment includes physical therapy/massage focusing on muscle trigger point release. TENS units can also be helpful. From a medication standpoint there is a potential role for muscle relaxants and occasionally topical agents. You should discuss these with your doctor. If the trigger points are relatively well localized then isolated trigger point injections with either saline or local anesthetic can be used with some benefit.

There does not appear to be a significant benefit with one over the other.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions please let me know. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.